New Build: Coniston^2 dual driver double mouth MBVR - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2010, 05:59 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoh View Post
Can someone tell me what the expected advantage is to have two Mark Audio EL70s in an enclosure? What difference between the twin and a single enclosure? Does the extra speaker firing off to one side give a bigger sound field? more bass?
Both. And greater dynamics and lower distortion. One technique to get the advanatges of a larger driver without the downsides.

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:01 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Looking really good

We want a picture installed (and all the cute hairdressers)

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:59 AM   #13
BL21DE3 is offline BL21DE3  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Those look really nice . I'll be happy if my single driver build of the Coniston turns our looking half as nice.

Ewan
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

splendid job man! is there an easy way to do the flush mounting thing? can someone give me a link to learn it?
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
get the advanatges of a larger driver without the downsides.

dave

Dave is there a rule of thumb to calculate what driver diameter (being all equal) 2 drivers of given diameter are equivalent to?
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:29 PM   #16
BL21DE3 is offline BL21DE3  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by human.bin View Post
splendid job man! is there an easy way to do the flush mounting thing? can someone give me a link to learn it?
The easiest way to flush mount drivers is to use a router and a circle cutting jig. You can buy a commercial circle cutting jig such as the Jasper Jig see here Jasper Circle Cutting Jigs or make your own like this How to Cut Circles and Curves With a Router : How-To : DIY Network or like this Woodworking Tip: Router Circle-Cutting Jig. You then set the jig to the desired diameter of the driver cut out and make several shallow passes with the router until you've achieved the necessary depth of cut out for the driver's faceplate.

Ewan
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:58 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by human.bin View Post
Dave is there a rule of thumb to calculate what driver diameter (being all equal) 2 drivers of given diameter are equivalent to?
Take the driver Sd, multiply by 2 and then calculate the Sd of a single driver would have the same Sd.

You can just look at the Sds on the spec sheet or you can get the ruler out and do the math, and determine the actual cone diameter of the larger driver (remembering that driver size usually includes the size of the surround & the bezel, ie the EL70 is equivalent to 4" driver and has a 70 mm diameter cone)

2*(pi*(d1/2)^2) = pi*(d2/2)^2

2*sqrt(2*(d1/2)^2) = d2

ie for 2 EL70, d2 = 99 mm so something like a 5.5-6" driver (same as 1 Alpair 10).

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looking really good

We want a picture installed (and all the cute hairdressers)

dave
Thanks dave! I've got bad news though...there is only one girl that works there if you know what I mean. Maybe I can bring my girlfriend along and get her to pose instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL21DE3 View Post
The easiest way to flush mount drivers is to use a router and a circle cutting jig. You can buy a commercial circle cutting jig such as the Jasper Jig see here Jasper Circle Cutting Jigs or make your own like this How to Cut Circles and Curves With a Router : How-To : DIY Network or like this Woodworking Tip: Router Circle-Cutting Jig. You then set the jig to the desired diameter of the driver cut out and make several shallow passes with the router until you've achieved the necessary depth of cut out for the driver's faceplate.

Ewan
^I use the jasper jig mentioned above. Worth every penny IMO. I build a lot of stuff (you may have noticed) and use mine constantly. Looks brand new still.
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:53 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
...there is only one girl that works there if you know what I mean. Maybe I can bring my girlfriend along and get her to pose instead
Cuties have to be girls? They are my preference, but i'm sure there are some not so predisposed.

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cuties have to be girls? They are my preference, but i'm sure there are some not so predisposed.

dave
Tis true, then I shall take pictures of all in attendance.

Hide this!Advertise here!