Vifa Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks. I'm aware of the open baffle design. What I am looking for are closed box enclosure designs, either ported or sealed, for a single driver. I have found quite a few but they are all very complicated designs. I want a simple design that does not require a full blown woodworking shop to build!

I'm not aware of any 6.5" vifa full range drivers. Are these new? I can't find anything on PE, Madisound, or Tympany's website.

Edit: Ok, so a coaxial and not full range. I see.

I've actually used these in a car. My girlfriends civic blew a speaker and needed a replacement. For $15 each it was perfect but I certainly wouldn't recommend them.

We've come to understand a fullrange driver as one that achieves all or most of the audible octaves using a single voice coil. Definitions vary. I like to consider 100hz to 10khz, but others want to see a wider response before calling it full range. Whizzer cones are considered a mechanical, not electrical 2-way design and so fit the category. Coaxial drivers can certainly be full-range but require 2 drive units, such as your Vifa and are not considered fullrange drivers. The benefits of using one VC to reproduce the fullrange bandwidth are many, but the difficulty of engineering them to do so without the worst of the accompanying design compromises is surely the 'holy grail' of the hobby.

That's not to say coaxial drivers are not worthwhile. They are. Look at Tannoy or PHY HP.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.