why use CAT5 cable? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2013, 11:11 PM   #71
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It could also be that there are some grains of thruth in Hawksford's paper. Some of the math and assumptions have been called into question, but Malcolm stands behind the work.

http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/research...cho%201995.pdf

from here (lots of good reading)

Malcolm Hawksford - Publications

dave
Old 21st January 2013, 12:04 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Oh dear.

OK. Here's one possible reason. I'm not saying it is the reason, it is just an example. When shifting to very thin wire, it's not uncommon for people to say they have found an apparent improvement in the midband & HF. One cause of this are conductors that are too thin to handle LF current demands, and thus their dynamic peaks are more or less subtlely compressed while the higher frequencies are of course left relatively unaffected, thus subjectively emphasising them over the lower registers and making them sound clearer.
Which is what I meant when I said "Maybe I have actually lost enough in the bass that it sounds brighter".
Old 21st January 2013, 12:50 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

I changed from 16Ga zip cord to a singe pair of stranded wires from a Cat5 cable and sounded better on my MA 12p pencils. I didn't swap them back and forth with different music but added resistance argument makes sense to me so I will leave them there for now. I didn't raise them off the floor on plastic chairs so I will leave that tweak for another day;-)
Old 21st January 2013, 01:04 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

What Scott says. Speakers with exaggerated treble are often reported as more detailed, when they are just balanced shifted towards the high end. Perhaps your power requirements really do require a thicker wire. This all assumes normal music that has a generally pink noise power distribution. It does not apply to current super compressed rock that is nearly white noise.

Bob
Old 21st January 2013, 05:22 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The best dialectric for wire would be air (or a vacuum), thin is good in that respect. Given typical voltage levels the insulation is adequate. The thin, soldi core high purity wire is why you use it.

dave
Solid core is the part I take exception to most of all. Buzzes rattles and wire breaks. The rest is livable. If i had cat5 just lying about then id use it. I
dont though, so buying some isnt any more value than zipcord.

@Scott: shame on you. Having an opinion doesnt entitle you to y
treat others' ideas like dirt. this was a thread started in good faith, to seek opinion, not incite bullish behavior. So much for the DIYA spirit.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 21st January 2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:07 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
Solid core is the part I take exception to most of all. Buzzes rattles and wire breaks. The rest is livable. If i had cat5 just lying about then id use it. I
dont though, so buying some isnt any more value than zipcord.

@Scott: shame on you. Having an opinion doesnt entitle you to y
treat others' ideas like dirt. this was a thread started in good faith, to seek opinion, not incite bullish behavior. So much for the DIYA spirit.
apologies. Got the post totally out of context. Again. I think im guna be quiet until ive considered what im going to write in future. Again, humblest apologies.

Hide this!Advertise here!