Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2010, 11:45 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed LaFontaine View Post

Can we terminate with RJ-45's
There are some vendors doing this already (ie NuForce)

dave
Old 28th January 2010, 12:20 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default Cat5

I agree that using CAT5 for power cord is a bad idea. Its great wire but it can be brittle and breaks easily. Mains amperage would not like to see shorts.

For power cables I like using computer power cord. It is very high quality wire. And everyone has an old computer lying around don't they? Remove the male AC plug from the computer power supply on the back of the computer and install it in the chassis. That rhombus like shape is a bitch to make a hole for but if you do the jack screws into the chassis instead of the prerssure fit plastic fittings commonly used. And if the cord gets damaged You don't have to take the piece apart to change the cord.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:48 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
This PVC jacketed CAT5 is rated at 300V. I'd guess that plenum grade might be higher.
Quite possibly. But it's still a wire designed for low voltage applications & I really wouldn't fancy passing 230v, 13amp AC through it. No way. That's asking for it in a big way.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:55 AM   #44
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

and what is the wire to wire voltage rating?
Old 28th January 2010, 11:54 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Check your facts, before you bash something. As Dave stated, some Cat5 is rated to 300v. Plenum/Teflon can be over 400v. I would not recommend it, if it didnít. With the mains in the US at 120v, it works fine for lower current use (preamp, cd, etc.). Any yes I would leave the outer jacket on for such use. Anyone attempting to build electronics, had best understand voltage and current basics and the danger that goes along with it, and know what they are using, or they are in for a world of hurt, or worse.

I have to say 90% of audio is "belief engine", or why is there ribbon, esl, single driver full range, tubes, transistors, various wire, digital, analog, turntables, cd players, copper, silver, gold, paper, rice paper, banana fiber, hemp fiber, carbon fiber, aluminum, paper-in-oil, copper foil, silver foil, on and on and on. Pick any one aspect of audio reproduction and youíll get 50 different answers. Actually if there were only one best technology, this would be a very boring hobby. Any we would not enjoy this site, as much as we do.

The fact that something measures well, or has better numbers, does not automatically mean better sound quality (or else Iíd still be using the Crown DC 300 I had in college- measured way better than my SET300b). Being an EE (I am) does not give one ďgolden earsĒ. Most EE I know would be happy with a Bose table top radio. As a classically trained musician, I hope I have learned to listen better, but does not mean I hear or perceive sound quality any better than anyone else.

Everything has a price point and what you are willing to pay for. I won't sell my Cardas Golden Ratio, or MIT reference speaker cables for $10.00, to run out and buy Cat5 cable. Or stop listening to my original Quads, just because I have Fostex FE167e. While I love the sound of real Western Electric 300b's, I don't use them for every day casual listening. And most DIY folks are not going to shell out $$$$ for a pair. So, what you like, and what you are willing to pay for is all "belief engine". Letís keep an open mind, and enjoy this site. Help anyone who asks for help, and give them the best advice we can offer.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:32 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Oh, I'll 'bash' it, and keep on doing so where appropriate, as frankly, I regard your original statement as potentially highly dangerous. You made none of the caveats you have suddenly introduced above. The fact is, Cat5 is in many cases is completely unsuited to such roles. Call me Mr Picky if you like, but I'll stick with wire that's actually intended for the task.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 28th January 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 28th January 2010, 01:09 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I’m the first one to say I’m sorry if I offended anyone, or want anyone to use something that is not safe. I would not call anyone Mr Picky. I do enjoy a lively debate! As they say, god is in the details. I am glad everyone is concerned about safety.
Old 28th January 2010, 01:48 PM   #48
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'd never use CAT-5 even for 110V - even if its rated flashover level may be 3-400V, teflon and all. The insulation is way too thin, and I cannot imagine it would pass an UL test for 115V mains use.

I also consider RJ-45s dubious for loudspeaker use -1-2Ws maybe...
Old 28th January 2010, 02:56 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus x1 View Post
Iím the first one to say Iím sorry if I offended anyone, or want anyone to use something that is not safe. I would not call anyone Mr Picky. I do enjoy a lively debate! As they say, god is in the details. I am glad everyone is concerned about safety.

lol rated for 400V it may be, however it is not designed for regular movement, as no solid core wire is. i wouldnt like to witness a short wirth mains voltage across a break in cat5 cores
Old 28th January 2010, 03:04 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Your right, it would not pass UL, CSA or any other safety rating system for mains use. As far as UL goes, a lot of items I’ve seen posted, does not pass. How about exposed terminals on amplifiers and speakers, they don’t pass either. Say nothing of those nasty vacuum tubes sticking out on top of the chassis without a cover over them. UL requires anything over 50V to have a caution label attached to it. So that means anything with an AC cord going to it. I have yet to see any on the pictures of equipment posted. And for any lawyers reading this post, all electronic equipment, whether purchased or home built, should meet all UL regulations.
So maybe the politically correct answer to “why use Cat5” should be “don’t”. So let’s get back on subject, what good quality, inexpensive wire, that sounds good, are you using for speaker cable?

Hide this!Advertise here!