why use CAT5 cable? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2009, 06:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

wouldn't CAT6 be a better alternative then? From what I understand, CAT6 is better shielded, lower noise levels and also you can get cables where each strand are guaranteed to be the same length.
Old 30th December 2009, 06:58 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

plus that and the time delay you speak of, if not imagined by those that believe it; would be caused capacitively i assume, much like the 'buckets' in a BBD IC, and i would've though would be worse in CAT5, if what i said above is in fact correct...which i would believe is but haven't proved as yet

at any rate...increasing the 'seen' output inpedance of the amp is the absolute opposite that i would like to achieve, since i dont want to mess with my speakers QTS and hence tuning, electrically. If i did id make some field coils at work and knock the magnets off my speakers with a lump hammer, and experiment...
Old 30th December 2009, 07:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

FWIW, many of use with full range drivers and tube amps are using a single pair of cat5 wires per channel, not several twisted pairs braided together.

Jeff
Old 30th December 2009, 07:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

oh.. thats pretty thin. a single pair?
Old 30th December 2009, 08:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yep, thin but very effective. Sometimes less is more.
I use solid core Cat 6. I was able to get it for less than the Cat 5 (on sale) and the conductor seems slightly thicker than Cat 5 as well.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 30th December 2009, 09:00 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Right, it's the worst case. With a less-than-perfect voltage amplifier, the minuscule loss gets even smaller. And with normal tweeter impedance rise, smaller yet. I ran through those calculations in another thread.
Full Range forum. No tweeters. But the lower you can get the damping factor, the more any impedance rise at the top (& bottom) will cause an increase in power delivery just where the well mechanically damped FRs that prefer amps with high output impedance need a bit of help.

dave
Old 30th December 2009, 09:08 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
More importantly, as low as the capacitance may be, i cant help but think that the closer proximity of adjacent conductors would increase capacitance greatly, when compared to my 0.50/metre speaker cable which the conductors are spaced about 3mm apart....

unless you can get the CAT5 free
In my speaker cables i actually pull all the strands apart and space 2 single wires a couple cm apart on a piece of packing tape.

For a tidier cable, Chris took 2 seperate strands and spiralled them around a piece of plastic aquarium tubing crossing each other orthoganally.

And free is a common price for CAT 5. Leftovers from a network install are pretty common.

Try it. Or not.

dave
Old 30th December 2009, 09:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukaidee View Post
oh.. thats pretty thin. a single pair?
Yes. It's all Dave's fault.

Right now I'm trying some mil spec stranded wire. 22g silver tinned copper wire, teflon coated with a silver braided shield, all wrapped in teflon shrink. This is very fancy wire compared to cat5, but I honestly can't hear any difference between the two.

Jeff
Old 30th December 2009, 09:12 PM   #19
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
according to what i know of inductors from winding my own, smaller gauge yields higher L than larger gauge wire; that is for a given coil diameter and length of wire.
I think only because of the fill factor - (you can get more thin wire in the winding space) which does not apply in this case.

Cat5 is probably fairly transparent to amps with low damping factor - some valve amps, but for grunty ss amps that want to move cones like solenoids, it will be a disaster.
Old 30th December 2009, 09:14 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
No tweeters.
On the subject of tweeters. Some of the reasons for using such wire on a FR, makes it just the opposite with a tweeter & the typical bang in the most sentitive place XO points. The XOs often have a big impedance rise there which ends up with a bump in the FR because of higher output impedance.

Amp, speaker, & the cables connecting them always need to be looked at as a system.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!