why use CAT5 cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The standard formulas for CAT5 is either a single 2-wire pair or all 8 wires, solids to +ve and stripes to -ve. This provides reasonably low capacitance and inductance and resistance low enough to be tolerable with low-power systems. The various braiding formulas cause capacitance to go out of site and can cause problems with conditionally stable amps.

The lifting of veils thing smacks of placebo effect. Assuming that your original cables don't have wildly strange LCR characteristics, there should be very little difference in sound between those and your new CAT5 cables.

Bob

Joined 2011
Paid Member
ive used 5 amp lamp cord with no issue on short runs. Dunno what AWG that would be, but for 12ft id think it would be ok, just. The gauge of cat5 isnt the issue to me, its the thin insulation and close proximity of conductors, and solid core, that concern me.

The twists in the cable rule out cross-talk in digital signalling, so I can only extraploate that they would do the same with analog interference (as cross-talk is due to analog EMI of neighbouring wires.)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The standard formulas for CAT5 is either a single 2-wire pair or all 8 wires, solids to +ve and stripes to -ve. This provides reasonably low capacitance and inductance and resistance low enough to be tolerable with low-power systems. The various braiding formulas cause capacitance to go out of site and can cause problems with conditionally stable amps.

The lifting of veils thing smacks of placebo effect. Assuming that your original cables don't have wildly strange LCR characteristics, there should be very little difference in sound between those and your new CAT5 cables.

Bob

Placebo, perhaps...

But how is it that I needed to adjust EQ after swapping cables?

Maybe I have actually lost enough in the bass that it sounds brighter, but I don't feel a lack of bass.

Some may wish to ignore the thread. I get that. However, I am not quite done exploring it...

Oh dear.

OK. Here's one possible reason. I'm not saying it is the reason, it is just an example. When shifting to very thin wire, it's not uncommon for people to say they have found an apparent improvement in the midband & HF. One cause of this are conductors that are too thin to handle LF current demands, and thus their dynamic peaks are more or less subtlely compressed while the higher frequencies are of course left relatively unaffected, thus subjectively emphasising them over the lower registers and making them sound clearer.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Oh dear.

OK. Here's one possible reason. I'm not saying it is the reason, it is just an example. When shifting to very thin wire, it's not uncommon for people to say they have found an apparent improvement in the midband & HF. One cause of this are conductors that are too thin to handle LF current demands, and thus their dynamic peaks are more or less subtlely compressed while the higher frequencies are of course left relatively unaffected, thus subjectively emphasising them over the lower registers and making them sound clearer.

Which is what I meant when I said "Maybe I have actually lost enough in the bass that it sounds brighter". :)

I changed from 16Ga zip cord to a singe pair of stranded wires from a Cat5 cable and sounded better on my MA 12p pencils. I didn't swap them back and forth with different music but added resistance argument makes sense to me so I will leave them there for now. I didn't raise them off the floor on plastic chairs so I will leave that tweak for another day;-)

What Scott says. Speakers with exaggerated treble are often reported as more detailed, when they are just balanced shifted towards the high end. Perhaps your power requirements really do require a thicker wire. This all assumes normal music that has a generally pink noise power distribution. It does not apply to current super compressed rock that is nearly white noise.

Bob

The best dialectric for wire would be air (or a vacuum), thin is good in that respect. Given typical voltage levels the insulation is adequate. The thin, soldi core high purity wire is why you use it.

dave
Solid core is the part I take exception to most of all. Buzzes rattles and wire breaks. The rest is livable. If i had cat5 just lying about then id use it. I
dont though, so buying some isnt any more value than zipcord.

@Scott: shame on you. Having an opinion doesnt entitle you to y
treat others' ideas like dirt. this was a thread started in good faith, to seek opinion, not incite bullish behavior. So much for the DIYA spirit.

Last edited:
Solid core is the part I take exception to most of all. Buzzes rattles and wire breaks. The rest is livable. If i had cat5 just lying about then id use it. I
dont though, so buying some isnt any more value than zipcord.

@Scott: shame on you. Having an opinion doesnt entitle you to y
treat others' ideas like dirt. this was a thread started in good faith, to seek opinion, not incite bullish behavior. So much for the DIYA spirit.

apologies. Got the post totally out of context. Again. I think im guna be quiet until ive considered what im going to write in future. Again, humblest apologies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.