fe 127 & frugal-horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2009, 08:28 AM   #1
mcr483 is offline mcr483  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default fe 127 & frugal-horn

hello! i ordered fostex fe127e full range drivers from madisuond but then i got an idea to but them into a frugal horn cabinets.
they are for the fe126.

can this be done??
Old 26th December 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr483 View Post
hello! i ordered fostex fe127e full range drivers from madisuond but then i got an idea to but them into a frugal horn cabinets.
they are for the fe126.

can this be done??

Well of course it "can be done" - in fact I think an early builder did so, but if there was to be a blind listening test, I think the consensus would be the FE127E isn't as well suited to this enclosure as the FE126E.

The 127 is much more flexible in terms of enclosure designs & sizes in which it will work well, without correction - EQ ,etc.

The several enclosures that I can recommend from personal build / listening experience for the 127 are Scott Lindgren's Brynn, the Mileva, and the PAWO - and either the floorstander or stand-mounted "prime" Fonken. The first 3 are relatively wide / shallow enclosures that are vented either to the side (PAWO) or front. The floorstander Fonken is a very small footprint design that so far I have built vented both to the front and back.

However, after several years of hearing all of the above designs and others, as well as to other drivers in Fostex family, and more recently Jordan and Mark Audio, the one that works best for my room and listening tastes is the FE127eN Fonken. It's a bit of a trickier build than the Frugelhorns or Brynn, but simply does enough things right for me .
Old 26th December 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did it, it worked pretty well, with more tinkering it could have been much better. The way I had my room setup there was plenty of bass, but that could definitely be an issue if the room is setup differently.

The FE127 is a great driver and there are lots of enclosures for it.

Josh

Hide this!Advertise here!