Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Edlingham MLTL for twin Alpair10

With the success of the Chillingham MLTL speaker build for twin MA CHR-70 drivers I persuaded the designer of the Chillingham's to do a similar cabinet design and driver configuration for the MA Alpaior10's and here is the result, the EDLINGHAM's.

The first image is of the set of cut panels for a pair the speakers. It's nice to have a local supplier of sheet timber who can CNC cut the 18mm BB ply on a flat bed saw. Just needs for me to make a set of templates and router out the holes etc. All joints are butt joints with biscuit reinforcements.

The second image is of the business end of the one completed speaker detailing the driver locations and bevelled edges.

The third image shows a finished cabinet alongside my Floor standing Fonkens and Chillingham speakers to give scale.

The intention is to veneer the speakers once Christmas is out the way and I have had a good listen to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edlingham01.JPG (129.0 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Edlingham02.jpg (128.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Edlingham03.jpg (133.6 KB, 308 views)
Old 24th December 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Beautiful. I'd love to hear your comparison of the CHR-70 with the Alpair 10 when all is done. Who is the mysterious designer?
Old 24th December 2009, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oh well, I guess someone would figure it out sooner or later, so might as well come clean; that would be little old me.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

rjbond3rd wrote
Quote:
I'd love to hear your comparison of the CHR-70 with the Alpair 10 when all is done.
I should have the A10 speakers finished tomorrow morning. Just need to wire up the drivers. I will then do some serious listening to them and report how they compare to the CHR70 versions.

rjbond3rd also wrote
Quote:
Who is the mysterious designer?
I'm glad that Scott came clean as the designer. At present these are very much in the experimental stage and I have built them for assessment purposes along with the Chillinghams.
Old 24th December 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Toppsy, very exciting. I'm listening to the CHR-70's right now, and I wonder how much better things can get.

Scott, when do you rest?! Merry Christmas, sir.
Old 25th December 2009, 02:00 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
I'm listening to the CHR-70's right now, and I wonder how much better things can get.
EnABL them. You should be VERY surprised.

dave
Old 25th December 2009, 09:00 AM   #7
AndrewL is offline AndrewL  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice job on the speakers there Colin....

-- Andrew
Old 25th December 2009, 10:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK. So how do they sound?

I have to say pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Bass and lower midrange are definitely richer than the little CHR70s but to me the CHR70 take over in the upper mids and high frequencies - just.

They are also a little easier to drive than the CHR70 Chillinghams and sound really, really nice through my 300b monoblocs. This is a good combination.

I'm presently listening to Tori Amos and she sounds just wonderful, not as good as my Quad63's but you'd expect that wouldn't you.

What I really like about the Chillinghams and these Edlinghams is the soundstage they produce. It is large and you don't loose any the ambience whether seated or standing.

A change of music is needed I feel and some vinyl. So I'm off now and I'm really pleased with my Christmas present to myself.

The photo shows the finished speakers (prior to veneer) playing sweet music through my 300b monobloc amps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edlingham04.jpg (165.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 29th December 2009, 12:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Excellent work with the beveling. I really like how it finishes out the birch ply ends. I might have to go that with something of my own soon since it's so pretty.
Old 29th December 2009, 02:58 AM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
Excellent work with the beveling. I really like how it finishes out the birch ply ends. I might have to go that with something of my own soon since it's so pretty.

Do be prepared for dark spots in the internal ply layers - tight full knots that are structurally sound, but not always aesthetically appealing, and the exposed edge grain takes finish quite unevenly, so several steps of sealing and sanding may be required for a decent clear coat finish.

Hide this!Advertise here!