Edlingham MLTL for twin Alpair10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the success of the Chillingham MLTL speaker build for twin MA CHR-70 drivers I persuaded the designer of the Chillingham's to do a similar cabinet design and driver configuration for the MA Alpaior10's and here is the result, the EDLINGHAM's.

The first image is of the set of cut panels for a pair the speakers. It's nice to have a local supplier of sheet timber who can CNC cut the 18mm BB ply on a flat bed saw. Just needs for me to make a set of templates and router out the holes etc. All joints are butt joints with biscuit reinforcements.

The second image is of the business end of the one completed speaker detailing the driver locations and bevelled edges.

The third image shows a finished cabinet alongside my Floor standing Fonkens and Chillingham speakers to give scale.

The intention is to veneer the speakers once Christmas is out the way and I have had a good listen to them.

Attachments

• Edlingham01.JPG
    Edlingham01.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 378
  • Edlingham02.jpg
    Edlingham02.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 359
  • Edlingham03.jpg
    Edlingham03.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 355
rjbond3rd wrote
I'd love to hear your comparison of the CHR-70 with the Alpair 10 when all is done.

I should have the A10 speakers finished tomorrow morning. Just need to wire up the drivers. I will then do some serious listening to them and report how they compare to the CHR70 versions.

rjbond3rd also wrote
Who is the mysterious designer?

I'm glad that Scott came clean as the designer. At present these are very much in the experimental stage and I have built them for assessment purposes along with the Chillinghams.

OK. So how do they sound?

I have to say pretty good from where I'm sitting. :D

Bass and lower midrange are definitely richer than the little CHR70s but to me the CHR70 take over in the upper mids and high frequencies - just. :cool:

They are also a little easier to drive than the CHR70 Chillinghams and sound really, really nice through my 300b monoblocs. This is a good combination.

I'm presently listening to Tori Amos and she sounds just wonderful, not as good as my Quad63's but you'd expect that wouldn't you.

What I really like about the Chillinghams and these Edlinghams is the soundstage they produce. It is large and you don't loose any the ambience whether seated or standing.

A change of music is needed I feel and some vinyl. So I'm off now and I'm really pleased with my Christmas present to myself. :up::D

The photo shows the finished speakers (prior to veneer) playing sweet music through my 300b monobloc amps

Attachments

• Edlingham04.jpg
    Edlingham04.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 285
Excellent work with the beveling. I really like how it finishes out the birch ply ends. I might have to go that with something of my own soon since it's so pretty.

Do be prepared for dark spots in the internal ply layers - tight full knots that are structurally sound, but not always aesthetically appealing, and the exposed edge grain takes finish quite unevenly, so several steps of sealing and sanding may be required for a decent clear coat finish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.