Begining of my Frugel hOrn and Sachikos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I left home around 12:30 to rent a panel van to go pick up the Refurbished table saw I bought at Sears. I live north of Tucson, and the Sears store is on the East side of Tucson. U-haul didn't have a small panel van, so they rented me a short 10 foot panel truck, same price.

Off I went to Sears. About 45 minutes later, I was at Sears to see where to pick up my table saw. It turns out when Sears says refurbished, what they mean is used item that was returned--the table saw was sans box, sans folding legs, sans everything except for the platform and circular saw. Certainly not what was pictured on the internet, and sans an explanation from the sales person who verified they still had it.

3 hours later, a manager offered to split the difference between the selling price of a new saw, and the price I paid. If I said no, they'd refund my purchase price, and I'd be out the truck rental price. So, I paid the extra $$. turns out they didn't have a new one, so they offered to ship a new one to me at NC. It will arrive Dec 31st.

So, back across town to where I live and hit HomeDepot.

At HomeDepot, a very patient fellow help me go thru around 25 4x8 panels of maple plywood trying to find three that weren't gouged, have filled knots (they all had them), and split veneer.

I eventually settled on 3 of them, bought an oak 4x8 for Frugel horns, no 4x4 oak in 3/4.

Another nice fellow very patiently cut all of the panels for me.

If I were to have them cut up the panel into 17 1/4 widths again, I'd have them measure from the bottom of the panel up, measure the first cut, and then have then cut the next one from the same panel, then cut two from second panel--measure once, and then have four identical width panels. Then, they can set the cut to 11 3/4 and cut the rest up--measure once and then have all of the baffles, rear panel and front panel all identical widths.

The good folks at HomeDepot didn't charge for doing all of that cutting. Plus, someone helped load all of the panels into the truck.

I got home, exhausted at 9:15.

While unloading the panel, I discovered someone had side swiped the rear corner of the passenger side. Just a scuff, but enough to expose a 2 inch by 2 inch patch of unpainted panel.

I'll get to see how good Discovery rental insurance coverage is?

DIY is certainly a learning experience!

Merry Christmas form Tucson
Bob

Attachments

• Sachiko 005.jpg
    Sachiko 005.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Sachiko 002.jpg
    Sachiko 002.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Sachiko 003.jpg
    Sachiko 003.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 268
I called Discover this morning. They transferred me to Chub Insurance. Chub gave me a claim number, and will send an adjuster,

Time to pick up some glue, a few more clamps and 90 degree angles from Harbour Freight, next door to U-Haul.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Post pots of building pic's, there is only one problem that can come of this, you get so addicted to working on your boxes and time flys, some may say that glue taste's good, id have to say no it doesn't :) make sure you eats some nibbles while working :)

J'

I dropped of the U-Haul. Before I left here, it dawned on me that I could load up a computer monitor, TV, and photo printer I no longer use.

Good will it in the next shopping lot, I drop the stuff off and while I was headed out, I noticed that the U-Haul lot and Goodwill had a road between them. I drove across the road and it the U-Haul lot.

I gave them the claim information. When they went out to look at the scuff they thanked me for my honesty, and said don't worry about0no need for a claim adjust to come out.

I picked up some items at Harbour Freight.

So. I'm all set to go, but no table saw.

I ordered a complete set of resistors and mica caps for a Dynaco FM3 I recently bought--it works fine, sound great since I replaced the coupling caps with PIO, played with all new different tubes and used new carbon films in the receiver. Mouser held onto the order when I noted to not bother back ordering anything. So, they were holding my order until the 1 watt carbon comp resistor they were out of would arrive in mid Feb!

I asked them to ship with the resistor, $4 in a $71 order. That was to be my CHristmas day project, but it won't arrive till Sat or Monday.

I've got a nice T square so I can start making up the plywood for cutting CHristmas day.

Best from tucson.
bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.