Full range speakers for desk system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking about to build a pair of full range speakers for my desktop audio system. Most of the projects here are shown in open space, for mid/far field listening. I wonder whether the Fonken type of full range on desk is suitable for near field music listening? I have a parasound Zamp.

thanks!

Is 3 inch FF85K too small? how about the design of solo103 with FE103 or FE126/127? I would like to have more bass.
Is this larger cabinet not necessary for desktop?

Jim is right, not only is the FF85K a pretty special driver, but the enclosure design he references delivers a lot of bang for the buck.

For the intended application, either the "micro" with FF85K or "milli" size with FE127 or Mark Audio CHR70/ Alpair 6(metal) /CSSEL70(paper) should be more than adequate for near to mid-field listening. I've listened extensively to all 4 types, and if you're looking for the most extended bass response from a relatively compact enclosure, and with the power available with your amp, I'd suggest the CHR70 or Alpair6.

Is 3 inch FF85K too small? how about the design of solo103 with FE103 or FE126/127? I would like to have more bass.
Is this larger cabinet not necessary for desktop?

I built a pair of ported speakers for my desk with a TangBand 3 inch full-range and am very happy. I used WinISD for the cabinets: 13x5x9.5. They have plenty of bass, especially for near field. Don't let the size of the driver fool you about bass (within reason); the proper enclosure will work wonders. I also built a pair of FE127 Fonkens, and they too have plenty of bass nearfield; however, they might be on the large size for a desk.
Mike

Phone Camera=Fuzzy Pic :(

Attachments

• IMG00432.jpg
    IMG00432.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
First, thanks for all your reply.
I also have Adcom GFA-5300. Is it too much for Fostex FE126/127?

The amp has more than enough power to exceed either of these drivers' rated maximum limits, but for near to mid field listening the SP levels would probably cause you to turn things down well before damage or destruction occurs. OTOH, it doesn't take much DC to release the magic voice coil smoke from these full range drivers.

You mentioned the 126, of the 2 listed this is not the best candidate in the world for a compact desk top sized enclosure - it really wants something like a BLH.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I also have Adcom GFA-5300. Is it too much for Fostex FE126/127?

You might well find that the FF85K uFonken and the milliSize Mark Audios are better suited to this amplifier. They are less efficient, and won't be as likely to show the warts of your anplifier when putting out millwatts, and they all prefer the low output impedance of that amp... the FE127 (forget about the FE126) likes an amp with higher output impedance.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/154103-millisize-me.html

dave

why not do away with the small stuff and go for a fonken build? i have mine currently being used in a nearfield config where they are sitting on my desk at school. nearfield they are rather beamy but if you can place them well and just move them around to taste you can get an amazing sweet spot with mind blowing accuracy. i have the speakers on stands which are standing on spikes and the bass is more palpable. earlier it was draining into the desk and just making that shake which is cool when im writing stuff or working at the desk but not so much if i am just sitting back and listening to the music. great pair of speakers.

ive heard the ufonkens on one occasion and while the midrange was excellent, the bass was necessarily absent. then again, depends on what you are trying to get out of your speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.