Hs anyone tried these......>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a reason for no replies. TL technology has taken a large leap forward in the last few years, and your design has been relegated to a historical oddity. As it turns out, an end-loaded conventional TL is not the way to go. Also, the FE164 has been replaced with the FE167E and the FE168 sigma is out of production.

Almost all current TL designs involve mass loading so that a good start for the FE167E (and as it turns out both the FE164 and the FE168 sigma) works out to be 40" long with a cross section of 80in^2 and a port of 3"x4". The driver is placed ad 25% of the pipe length, which greatly reduces the harmonics in the pipe and as a consequence reduces the amount of stuffing required to get smooth mid-bass. These dimensions will give you an F3 ~40Hz.

You went to a lot of effort to make the bends in you pipe smooth curves, but this turns out to be counter productive. Square corners will suppress high frequencies and make the port output cleaner.

Sorry to be so negative, but time and technology march on.

Bob

Almost a shame to see those TL's be fully encased. Wish I had a couple of 1inch thick panels of plexiglass for the sides of my Fostex 206e BLH so I could show of the guts of the speakers. What a work of art. Anyways got to get around to building some TL's like that some day.:spin:

Hey, I'm not that good:(.......This is someone elses idea and work that I fell in love with about 6-7 years ago. I never heard how it turned out......just loved the art of it and thought it would be the ultimate cabinet.

It kind of looks the way nature or God might have meant it to be. :)

Now that you have rudly awakened men it is going to be hard to give up and I still might build them for the shear beauty of it!

Maybe I could fill it with rocks to destroy those smooth curves:eek:....never!

Chuck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.