The One and Only Full Range AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been participating in the testing and I must say that these drivers are the first thing that has got me excited for almost 20 years of avid speaker building.

I must say that these drivers have changed what I expect from a loudspeaker and I am sure the AMTs are something that needs to be evaluated thoroughly. Congratulations Rayctech, you have developed a world class driver, now please find a way to manufacture and sell it and you have my money immediately.

Maybe it was not the smartest thing to do to let you and your friends test the AMT drivers :D as the "pressure" to assemble some additional units have increased...

G'day RayCtech,

Have these progressed any farther?

I am interested!

Thanks,

Drew.

Hi Drew,

Progressed in research, but no progress in production...

When revising the five different magnetic AMT models for a more production friendly build design (the revision work is finished), also the Electrostatic original Slot Loaded Air Motion model was given a revision, and based on the results of the experiments with the Magnetic models the new revision of the eSLAM (electrostatic Slot Loaded Air Motion) model will be the primary AMT type of transducer...

The original AMTs was developed as a electromagnetic driver back in the 1970´ties. At the time where the design was ready for prototyping Oscar Heil had already patented a similar functioning device in respect of the acoustic functionality, and the electrostatic AMT project was terminated.

The mechanical design of the eSLAM transducer is much more complicated than the simpler magnetic AMT transducers, but was selected even if more complicated due to the superior electro acoustic performance of the electrostatic design compared to the simpler electro mechanical magnetic design.

The eSLAM is a cost no object project as performance is the primary objective.

Yup....uhuh......righto.......no worries.

Photos would assist but I realize this is a long time coming. Glad it is still in motion.....

Cost no object is a little scary though......

Have pm'ed you from mpdpup too regards your setup with digital and analogue etc. May I pm you an email address we could converse a bit simpler with please?

Thanks Ray, quite amazing,

Cheers,

Drew.

Wow please keep us updated. :worship:

If I come around to this again and find the time to revise the drawings and ask for a quote for the magnetic / metal assembly for the original full range / midrange (flat response from 100Hz to 15kHz (still more HF level than many tweeters)) that is usable at high SPL crossed over at 300Hz with 24dB/oct filter or 500Hz with 6db/oct filter or at lower SPL even without crossover - then I may initiate the finishing of 100 units as I have diaphragms and holding cassettes for of this version / model..

I would also need to find someone I trust that could fold, assemble the diaphragms and mount it in the magnetic system... So I expect this "production" most possibly will never become reality.

If I come around to this again and find the time to revise the drawings and ask for a quote for the magnetic / metal assembly for the original full range / midrange (flat response from 100Hz to 15kHz (still more HF level than many tweeters)) that is usable at high SPL crossed over at 300Hz with 24dB/oct filter or 500Hz with 6db/oct filter or at lower SPL even without crossover - then I may initiate the finishing of 100 units as I have diaphragms and holding cassettes for of this version / model..

I would also need to find someone I trust that could fold, assemble the diaphragms and mount it in the magnetic system... So I expect this "production" most possibly will never become reality.

Hello and good day to you ray. Yes trust is a big issue. I am working on my own proto type speaker boxes for two fullrange drivers. The Fostex Fe103en and Fe126en drivers. I know this one man who would not try to take my design or take me for a ride with my speakers my mentor. In till he has or finds the time beening waiting almost 3 years now I will have to wait. Good luck. N.S.

The next time you are in the neighbourhood I expect there will be a working setup you can listen to...

Raymond, I'll be in the neighborhood from April 18-22. Are you near Oslo or Stavenger? I'd like to have a listen if you are willing. Even if your setup is not working, it would be worthwhile to meet. Hoping to make some DIY AMTs soon. Let me know as I hope to book flight tickets soon.

Thanks,

LeRoy

Raymond, I'll be in the neighborhood from April 18-22. Are you near Oslo or Stavenger? I'd like to have a listen if you are willing. Even if your setup is not working, it would be worthwhile to meet. Hoping to make some DIY AMTs soon. Let me know as I hope to book flight tickets soon.

Thanks,

LeRoy

Then we will be in quite different neighborhoods...
Send a PM and we may find a time when we are on the same continent

Hi folks,

This was an unexpected piece of luck, I'm just listening these wonderful devices, connected to my diy FirstWatt J2.
I'm not sure it is also a luck for Ray himself. (Because of some circumstances.)
But it is sure two of us we found a new friend.

Best regards,

Gyuri

I actually talked to my friend who know people in QMS quite a while ago, too bad he/they seems don't believe in the idea of "full range AMT"(could be the same as ADAM), and the other(perhaps more important) thing is that the amount is too small for them. It's your chance to surprise the audio world. Good luck! :cool:

Hi folks,

This was an unexpected piece of luck, I'm just listening these wonderful devices, connected to my diy FirstWatt J2.
I'm not sure it is also a luck for Ray himself. (Because of some circumstances.)
But it is sure two of us we found a new friend.

Best regards,

Gyuri

Hi Gyuri,

It was just coincidence that I had the first prototype speaker set with me when I ended up in your neighborhood.. Several days with good music, good food, good beer and great company :)

I actually talked to my friend who know people in QMS quite a while ago, too bad he/they seems don't believe in the idea of "full range AMT"(could be the same as ADAM), and the other(perhaps more important) thing is that the amount is too small for them. It's your chance to surprise the audio world. Good luck! :cool:

Some sets of the real full range AMT ´only´ speakers with the AMT bass drivers will be built in the near future and then we will discover what is possible or not...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.