First speaker project, done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´ve built 5 small bass-reflex boxes with Vifa TG9FD-10-04 drivers.
The finish was way harder to get rigth than I thought, matte is probably the way to go but now their glossy and will stay that way until summer.

Box was made of 16mm MDF, with cut outs around the driver, bass port is paper.

For their intended HT use I feel that they do well enough but they need to be augmentetd with a sub, current amplifier doesn´t load them below 80Hz, the "should" be able to work decently down to that. Now I just need to figure out why I get more noise from them than from my old speakers, could it be a sensitivity thing or is something wrong.

Attachments

• spkr.JPG
    spkr.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 222
Neat :)

Yeah, glossy is a serious PITA.

What kind of noise? Hum, crackling?

what type/brand of amp that "doesn't load them below 80Hz" - is that a non defeatable setting on the amp? .

It's not unknown for a higher sensitivity & resolution speaker (particularly small full range drivers) to reveal problems with electronics that are mitigated by careful engineering of "HT in a box" type systems .

thanks feedback is always nice =)

The noise is "white" noise, didn´t have it on the two ways I had before, tried two different pairs, no noise.
The amplifier is a nad L70 and it either feeds everything or everything from 80Hz and upwards.

No they don´t play very loud, infact they play less loud than I thought, however it seems like they will do loud enough, otherwise I will know when the first DTS stream hits them. Any suggestions on elements that would do better in the 3-4" size. Originaly my plans was for something with the Jordan 5,25" drivers, but I needed to do a pilot project with not so expensive drivers first.
Anyway now I´m stuck with what I have until spring :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.