4 driver focused array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
018.jpg

It sounds Wonderfull, given you are the approximate distance away and the approximate distance vertical.

It is open baffle, huge front face, and 4 x 4" drivers (8" driver area) without the whizzer problems.

But my wife really likes it, it sounds good it a limited arc from it (a couch for example).

Henkjan, yes, they are all equal distance to your ears, no combing filtering.

Next up is a 16 x b3s array, 66" tall.

If someone can tolerate the TINY sweet spot, I'd highly recommend it.

Oh yea, if you sit 12' away, make the focus for 14' (gives roughly 4" tall of sweet spot at 12' or so).

It has more high end that my 2 driver setup, I think the reduction in ceiling reflection is the reason, or the reduced excursion, I don't know.

Norman

yes, the whole couch OK, remember, it is a 4" driver I use, larger driver = less off axis highs.
great. my plans are to use a 3" driver (probably the Alpair6 (sqare frame) provided congress will approve the funding ;) ), 12 or 16 per side, and a DSP for equalisation. but first I'll do a test with some cheap drivers to hear if the movies still sound OK without the center speaker.

how did you form the wood for the baffle to be a circle segment?

Hiya, if you do the pythagorium square (box front is 2' tall), that is a^2 + b^2 = c^2, then 12' distance = 144", 144"^2 + 12"^2 = 20,880^.5 = 142.5", so on a triangle 12' away that is 1' tall from center, the distance to the top is .5" further than the center. So I had made a .5" bow, making a focus of 12' with a box 2' tall (12" vert off center).

That is oak plywood, no veneer, lovely looking.
The color is a nice break from dark / black, and I like it so much, walnut is becoming repulsive to me. I'm appreciating good veneer now. It looks so nice my wife said yes to the same design but 66" tall !!!!!!!! This is in the main room used for entertaining !!!!!!

Is is nice, I have a blanket because I'm using it upside down (things changed since I had it built).

To me running eq on a flat array doesn't make sence, specially for full range drivers.
see the step response here of the kuze array.
http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/Kuze3201/Kuze3201step.jpg
and the freq response un boosted
http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/Kuze3201/Kuze3201noeq.jpg

here is the link to it.
Parts Express: Project Showcase

"For an audiophile-sort who likes to sit in his sweet spot and sip brandy, these probably aren't the best choice. It was described at DIY2002 Dayton that the imaging was a little loosey-goosey.....Several people noted that the high-frequency reproduction lacked some "life" and "air". This could be attributed to the comb filtering problems that definitely were occuring......The sound is very large, with a good sense of soundstage width and height."

I'm against the large sound I detect on line arrays "like a closeup up someones lips on a movie screen" or "sounds like a 6' tall guitar" that I hear with panels now. Could be I'm imagining it but I find others who object to it also.

Resonances ? I saw the 6db spike at 6khz on the bandit article using a single 4" bamboo driver. I can't say as I've ever heard it or it has bothered me. 6khz is not shout nor s's and t's or cymbals. The only thing I can find is some large bells have a little more clang than I thought they would. But I don't liken to bell music.

Pit, what resonances are you asking about ?

Norman

Last edited:
.... So I had made a .5" bow, making a focus of 12' with a box 2' tall (12" vert off center).
the math is clear, it's the woodworking I was interested in...
[h=.]% [/h]

.... the same design but 66" tall
that would be about the size I was thinking about...
[h=.]% [/h]

I'm against the large sound I detect on line arrays ..... "sounds like a 6' tall guitar" that I hear with panels now.
it was exectly that what I liked for in my HT, to match the 6' screen :spin: . for normal music listening I would probably not choose it.
[h=.]% [/h]

btw: have you seen this latest design by Tony Gee
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it's a TL with 16 B3Ss Humble Homemade Hifi

you could clone the ids-25 using the peerless v-line drivers, or use the tc9 driver ($11.61 in 10+ quantities) with maybe a single 10 band equalizer..........
Vifa TC9FD18-08, 3.5" Full Range from Madisound

the peerless v-line tg9fd-10-04 is a close driver, but check out the little spikes from 1-4khz, resonances I believe. I'd read on a car audio forum that a comparison was done and the author preferred the TC9.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/TG9FD-10-04.pdf

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Good luck. I used the b3s because they are only $11 in bulk from partsexpress and zaph and a few others perfer them over one of my fav, the w3-871s. Otherwise someone used 8 of the tc9 per speaker over at fullrangedriver.com with eq and loved them also in a setup just like what you want to do (flanking a big tv used for movieswith a bit of eq).

The tc9 is a little hashy 1-3khz on a waterfall graph, but still the car audio liked it more than the tg9.

Yea the ids25 used 25 drivers, but they need to, especially without any woofers. The ids has about the area of a 15" but they xmax is small (the coil length is small also compared to a 15"). Boosting the bass eats up power and raises distorton considerably. And you better be able to do some bass when selling retail.

If I was to do something like this again, the tc9 would be at the top of my lists (4" cone area, copper cap reducing distortion, light 2g paper cone, $11, rubber surround, 50w rms). 110fs and .7qts would also make it decent for open baffle or open backed array.

On the other hand, the b3s already has a notch filter worked out, has 30cm2 vs 36cm2, has aluminum magnesium cone (stiffer, less Harmonic distortion), and looks much sexier than another black cone driver.

Norman

I have a box of cheap ($2 or so from a clearance sale) "westra" full range laying around to make the prototype(s), so I have some time to (re)consider the driver options for the final version. I will use them with a sub, probably crossed over at 80Hz.

the Vifa's start at €20 this side of the pond... still a lot less than an Alpair6 of course... but I probably rather spend some more than live with the idea that it could have been better.... as % of the total costs I had for the HT it already looks a lot better :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.