Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2009, 11:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PVC sewer pipe speakers

I've been searching for some designs with PVC sewer pipe, and would be interested in any designs and listening experiences. In terms of options we have commonly available (all internal measurements):
110mm - for CHR-70, Alpair 7, Fostex 103E etc
160mm - for JX92S, Alpair 7, Fostex 168E etc
200mm - for Alpair 12, Fostex 208E etc

There are various accessories as well - T junctions, 90 deg. bends, stoppers, access pipes etc which would facilitate a speedy construction.

The other interesting possibility is to put a pipe within a pipe and fill the space between with sand. So 110mm inside 160mm, 160mm inside 200mm, 200mm inside 250mm. Should be pretty inert!!

So how to proceed with this? I can't see it being possible to taper the pipe, so bass reflex is an obvious option. But what could I do in terms of a tuned pipe - ideas?

andy
Old 30th November 2009, 11:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here are some illustrations of what's available:

uPVC Sewer & Drainage Systems | Marley Pipe Systems - download Marley uPVC Sewer & Drainage pdf

160mm Junction - Equal Junction - Double Socket - 87 ½ Degree - spigot tail - 160mm Couplings Bends and Junctions - Drainstore

eBay UK Shop - jumbo building supplies:

andy
Old 30th November 2009, 04:41 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you search hard enuff Andy you will find quite a few. Here are 2:

Laying Pipe with Audio Lego
the toobs Mk 1

The 1st describes a method of tapering a PVC pipe,

And there is Linkwitz Pluto as well.

I have a piece of 300mm pipe here for an El Pipo style woofer (with a pr of isobarik 12")

dave
Old 30th November 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

here's something rather oddball - - Sapkowski's patent (examiners missed Fulmer and Karlson as prior art)

I only had one piece of pvc for experiment - IIRC there was quite a bit of midrange emanating from the hole array!

High Efficiency Speaker Asylum - holey Sapkowski - freddyi - October 23, 2007 at 15:59:04
Old 30th November 2009, 04:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To tune the pipe, I suspect a 3" pipe out the side of an 8" pipe would look pretty good - need some pretty accurate cutting though...
Old 30th November 2009, 05:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

I've been looking into this some more. I like my idea of 2 coaxial cheap PVC tubes with sand in the middle. An alternative would be the high pressure type PVC tubing = walls from 7mm to 12mm. But this gets expensive, alas. Sand is cheap!

I'm looking at suppliers here in the UK. Debating how to mount the forward pointing speaker - I can see a few options here! 110mm square hopper looks good - gives you a nice square front tapering down to 110mm pipe - very easy to bolt on a baffle. I'm thinking tall and thin, so thinking of a t junction 2/3 way up rather than a 90 degree bend at the top. Early days! But I'm getting restless to go out and get some tube to play with. Rob Sampson calls it "audio Lego"!

andy
Old 30th November 2009, 07:36 PM   #7
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Around about 19660 Rex Baldock designed a range of speakers called the tricolumn. Google "Haskelling".
Basically a Voigt type tapered column, they consisted of a vertical tube, open at the floor end, with speaker mounted horizontally at the top end. Inside was another tube, glued at the top, and to one side of the larger pipe, roughly 60% of its OD, and two thirds of its length. This was open at the speaker end, and closed at the lower end. Effectively this gave a taper, consisting of the small pipe, (circular), the area between the two pipes, (crescent),then the large pipe, (circular), with the speaker mounted approximately one third from the closed end taking into account the effect of the floor at the open end. A reflector could be added at the top if desired.
It was mainly designed for speakers of the Super 8 type. Approx size for that unit 9" OD, 36" high. He tried a number of units, including a lowther PM6 in it.
I'm sure using MJK calcs plus more modern units, an interesting and WAF design could result.
Old 30th November 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

How could we skip the ultimate sewer pipe speaker!

The "Pluto" by Siegfried Linkwitz.

PLUTO photos
Old 30th November 2009, 08:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I was actually ruminating on a "green" speaker. If I had a pipe within a pipe and sand in between, I could plant nice flowers and plants in the sand at the top. I could have a T junction further down and a cap on the top of the pipe, but should leave room for a nice roof of vegetation - sort of a thatched roof effect..... think of the WAF!!

andy
Old 30th November 2009, 09:03 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
How could we skip the ultimate sewer pipe speaker!

The "Pluto" by Siegfried Linkwitz.
Post 3?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!