Dark Vador speaker!, test version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a 8" Pioneer and tweeter in the garage and noticed scraps of wood... I wanted to try older design and came up with Dark Vador (also had flat black paint at hand). Using the new tweeter here : Parts-Express.com:*Dayton ND20FB-4 Rear-Mount 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter | tweeter nd20fb-4 soft dome tweeter dome tweeter neodynium dayton audio dayton loudspeaker dayton zdt35-60608 POTT-080108 DayAudiTweetWoofMid050109, using 2uF Capacitor. Voight Pipe vent size was estimated at 8" and overall sound is good. Tweeter seems to match well with the pioneer. Lower bass sounds good but not quite right to my ear after listening for little over one hour.

In near future I want to put the combo speakers in a real cabinet (3/4" plywood) with a nice stain. Can someone give a perhaps different vent size using the 8" Pioneer? I can tell these 8" Pioneers are more dynamic in a larger room than the 4 1/2" Pioneers that I am used to. If you don't mind a larger cabinet, the Dark Vador is a worthwhile build.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang

Attachments

• tweeter1.jpg
    tweeter1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Going on looks alone, I'd guess that those enclosures are way too small for the Pioneer B20 and tuned very high, especially because of the horn shape. I'd be surprised if there was any low bass at all. Also, the bass driver looks like it's too low. Usually the driver would go at .2 or .4 x line length (from the closed end) to smooth out the response.

Check Godzilla's BOFU BIB page for an idea of how big of a box the B20 wants if you want to use this Voigt style shape.

Last edited:
And my first guess is that the vent is WAY too big. You need to model this thing to get an idea what the vent should look like and exactly where the driver needs to be placed.

A "Voigt Pipe" can be made to work reasonably well with the right driver, but I don't think that the Pioneer is it. I could be wrong, though. Again, you need to model it to find out.

Bob

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
But I'll give you two thumbs up for the styling, it reminds me of old SPICAs.

pure diy

I remember some of my tweeter horns made from plastic bottle necks
And lots of not calculated horn designs
And they were certainly no worse than any proven design, at the time
It was pure fun :p

This was the only available quaterwave, and used with any avaiable 8" by many of my friends, 40years ago:rolleyes:
Really shined with RichardAllan and ST70 tubeamp

Attachments

• voight gulvhorn.jpg
    voight gulvhorn.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Scottmoose suggest following for FE207, which I understand is similar to B20.

"66.6in x 8.75in x 8.75in (at base), comes to a point at the top as per usual. Driver centre 32in down. Vent = 4in diameter x 4.5in long, centre 2.5in up on the front or rear panel. Stuff 0.4lbs ft^3 of dacron / whatever from the top 40in down"

Mine is bigger at base: 8 1/2"x11 1/2", with the height of 74". I have the vent on the bottom apparently 8" of vent height is too large. Can someone let me know what the vent size should be?

gychang

gychang,

I looked at the pioneer in a voight pipe several years ago and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a good match. It works much better in a MLTL.

PJN

well, in the spirit of true diy, I tried it and may not work out but haven't given up yet, gonna try different vent size first and if that doesn't work I am gonna try this 4 1/2" (which I have in the garage) for fun.

Parts-Express.com:*Pioneer A11EC80-02F 4-1/2" Full Range Driver | full range driver extended range driver 4-1/2" woofer pioneer

gychang

Attachments

• Pioneer.jpg
    Pioneer.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 186
adjusted vent!, much improved

Per suggestion of Bob Brines, and with the help of Jeff, I adjusted vent size much smaller to 0.75" as can be seen below. Can't hardly see the vent since so small compared to the size of the cabinet in black color. I then painted and listened to the sound.

It is much more balanced with a full extended bass now, I have temporarily put in the main living room (not ideal) for "xmas music" per wife. I am gonna listen for awhile and may build the another set after the holidays.

Thanks Godzilla.

gychang

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.