Finished My Curvy Changs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, late last night I was able to finish my curvy changs. I am running a FE207 in them. I only had about 1/2hour to listen to them, but the blow my Solo206' out of the water. They have a very natural sound the bass is just right, the mid-range shout is almost non existent. These have a very wide sweet spot, unlike the solo206'. I cant wait to get the phase plugs installed, its stained the same color as the cabinets.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers,

Ryan

Last edited:
unfortunately I'm not setup to do any measurements, but it does seem as though alot of the imaging comes from the tops. I'm not sure if this has to do with all the furniture in the room, or if some of the sound is being directed up from where the driver is inset into the side panels. When I stick my head into the vent it seems that mostly lower mid bass and bass are coming out of it.

Thanks guys for all the comments, the drivers are FE207's, the wood is birch ply, the stain is brand name Varathane in the Cabernet color. They offer it in a gel stain, it was a pleasure to work with, no runs or drips and nice even coloring. They recomend it to stay on 2-5 min, I wanted it darker so I left it 15 or so. I used their topcoat as well in high gloss. I have previously used Epifanes High Gloss Clear for a car I'm restoring and wanted to use it on these since it has a depth that looks like a sheet of glass, but the budget was already stretched and its seriously expensive (marine grade stuff).

Edit: forgot to mention 320 grit sand between top coats, wiped with naptha to clean

Edit#2: for those interested in seeing the Epifanes here is a thread on some wood work I did with it:
http://www.minimania.com/web/threadid/101043/msgthread.cfm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.