ff165k mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone modified their FF165k's? They're great speakers, but I'm bored :)
I've been thinking about doing the enable thing to them.
Also, I badly dented one of the dust caps. I fixed it, but it's still wrinkly. So, I was thinking about phase plugs.
I have supertweeters, highpassed at around 12k, so loosing a little high end by removing the dust caps probably wouldn't hurt. The issue there is I've noticed the dust cap is attached to the speaker way up above the actual coil opening. So, the tar band that currently holds the dustcap in place would be up 1/2" or so above where the phase plug would sit.

any thoughts about modding these?

http://www.zillaaudio.com/b20-mod.htm

Look at the driver in the upper right hand corner. I'm not advocating cutting up a pair of lovely 165k's but since you mentioned the way the dustcap is connected to the cone you might want to consider drawing a smaller circle on the dustcap and carefully poke small holes with an exacto knife until a nice round piece comes out large enough to install a phase plug. I printed a perfect circle on my printer, colored the back with a pencil and carefully traced it onto the dustcap before cutting.

>>> I fixed it, but it's still wrinkly.

Wrinkly dustcaps add character, lol... maybe wrinkle up the other one to have a matched pair.

Godzilla

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• FF165k.jpg
    FF165k.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 120
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'd still be careful though.

Always. One slip and you have a slice in the cone.

I have only dissected an FF85, it would be interesting to see under the caps of FF165. I expect respne at the top will likely bring in tnto the same range as FE208eS, ut you also eliminate any HF artifacts caused by the (floppy) aluminum dustcap.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.