Some 8"/5"/4" driver DIY...... India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not bad at all. The 5" variations look quite good. Is the paper doped because in the photo it does not look like it is. Ofcourse the stamped frame could be replaced or the phase plug could be better made but as a whole this is fantastic.

Obviously T/S specs and Freq. response and impendance charts would be needed and the driver's usability wqould be determined by how it sounds (break up nodes etc..).

Thanks Naveen.....

" Is the paper doped because in the photo it does not look like it is " No its not doped yet.... I do the doaping cum coating on the final version before I do acoustic measurments.....the coating enamel is very expensive..........

" Ofcourse the stamped frame could be replaced or the phase plug could be better " sure.... but the problem is the availability of cast frame for this
size :-( but the stamped frame I have used for this 5" mid woofer is made out of 0.9mm steel, which is very very sturdy.

" Obviously T/S specs and Freq. response and impendance charts would be needed and the driver's usability would be determined by how it sounds (break up nodes etc..). " would post all that info very soooon... atleast for the 5" mid woofer.

thanks
Sumit

Hi Shaun

Its DIY effort..... but I do make a few drivers ( curently just woofers, sub woofers and mids ) only for diyers on order basis, if they like something that I have made.......... or if they have any similar requirements that I can fulfill...... its my hobby/passion.... and not a business.

cheers
Sumit

Sumit,

This is quite a large motor structure for a cone of this size. Also, with the stamped basket, do you get an flex or sag from the weight of the motor on the small frame?

4inchwoofer.jpg

Hi

U r right :) if proper mounting is not done one might get flex or sag..... need to support the magnet structure from within. The rear magnet can be removed if shielding is not needed.

Had to use such a large motor to meet the required TS specs.

cheers

Attachments

• mount1.JPG
    mount1.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 120
preliminary measurment data....more to follow

Preliminary results of the 5 inch extended range driver (1" Kapton voice coil, full copper sleeve, coated paper cone, 5mm lin-Xmax p-p )........

1) The near field test was done from a distance of .5cm from the cone surface.

more results to follow......

rgds
Sumit

Attachments

• 5in extended range.JPG
    5in extended range.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 5in-Fr Res near field.JPG
    5in-Fr Res near field.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.