Full range design for bedroom system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to try my hand at my first DIY speaker build and am looking for a design that would work in a bedroom system. I'll be using a PP EL84 amp making around 10 watts.

Since this is a bedroom system I need something that can be placed against the wall but maybe/maybe not in the corner. My problem is that I will be moving soon so I have no idea what my new bedroom is going to be shaped like. Room placement flexibility will be key.

I've got access to a full wood shop but I'm still a rookie when it comes to woodwork so I need something easy for a newbie. I need pretty high efficiency and I'm thinking anything that gets me down around 50 hz should work. I listen to a little of acoustic music, small ensemble, a little classical/instrumental, etc. Overall budget, I would like to keep this project under $500 as this is my first attempt and I don't want to "risk" too much.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you're after something small, 50Hz might be a bit optimistic - those little drivers don't shift huge amounts of air.
However, it all depends on volume. If you want really loud stuff, a small full range won't work, but something larger would be Ok.

So, what size are we talking? How loud?

Chris

My first foray into building my own speakers was with these:
Parts Express DIY Project
I have run them on my EL84 PP amp and they sound great. They run around $200 and are pretty much all square cuts, so they're somewhat challenging, but very do-able. Also, the designer is on the PE forum a lot and is very helpful.
Mike

For less than $150 more, you could add the Triska sub. Three small packages, great sound, DIY, below 50Hz, less than $400.
Parts Express DIY Project
Mike

Mileva just about gets to 50 Hz, but as Chris mentions won't at very high levels. For a bit more placement options, the similarily deep and tall, but much narrower Fonken FloorStander would be my suggestion. It doesn't go as low as Mileva

dave

Both of these options look good with the Fonken floorstander probably having a little more placement flexibility due to its narrower design. I wouldn't be driving either of these to loud levels (or my bedroom might turn into a listening room after the wife moved out!) so super high SPL is not important.

Does anyone know roughly how low the Fonken Floorstanders go? If they can accurately do the low string on a cello and/or bass guitar I'd probably be pretty happy.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've always estimated 65 Hz, but some claim to get into the 30s in room.

I've measured mine at low levels into the 40s. In Chris' very small room he gets all the bass he can handle.

Room is very dominant below 100 Hz. This is why Toole strongly recommends mains down to 80 and multiple separate woofers below that.

dave

Well, Dave's already indirectly answered your question. Open E on a double bass / bass guitar is ~42Hz. Melieva will do about 50Hz, the Fonken floorstander a bit higher (call it 60Hz). Both should in fact reproduce open E, but level will be a ways down.

I've always estimated 65 Hz, but some claim to get into the 30s in room.

I've measured mine at low levels into the 40s. In Chris' very small room he gets all the bass he can handle.

Room is very dominant below 100 Hz. This is why Toole strongly recommends mains down to 80 and multiple separate woofers below that.

dave

If the bedroom in question results in listening position as near field as my "very small" room (i.e. 8.5ft wide x 20ft usable length), I think you'd get enough sense of lowest octave or so. The Floorstander certainly has small enough footprint to take advantage of boundary loading from available corners. Be sure to sand or shot fill the lower void for ballast if not using a wide base plate - these can be very tippy.

Though it is not a bookshelf, my SPQR Model 2 fits the bill for what your requirements are. It is very efficient, hits 50 HZ uses a fairly inexpensive driver, and only takes up 14 x 14 inches of floor space. Really quite good.

Tom

I would actually prefer floor standers. Stands can get expensive and they are not terribly stable with my daughter running around (not to mention my German Shepherd and Golden Retriever!). I'll check these babies out further; I'm assuming the link in your sig is the best source for info?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I checked out those kits and they do look interesting; I'm just a touch worried on the sensitivity. They look like they are only around 90dB and with only 8 ish watts to play with I was thinking I'd probably want something in the neighborhood of 93dB or better.

Tom, what kind of positioning flexibility is there with your speakers? Do they need corners? Can they perform well against a wall?

Stands can get expensive and they are not terribly stable with my daughter running around (not to mention my German Shepherd and Golden Retriever!)
Why not hanging the speakers to the ceiling? I'm thinking of this solution , either.
I'd avoid the classic 6 faces-box ,moving toward a double prism design project. Then the driver's baffle would be a secant plane.The internal volume available would be much less due to the longitudinal structure...hmmm:the ceiling could help in some gaining like in some projects the woofer coupled to the floor does.
Bye ,,, I'll investigate.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I checked out those kits and they do look interesting; I'm just a touch worried on the sensitivity. They look like they are only around 90dB and with only 8 ish watts to play with I was thinking I'd probably want something in the neighborhood of 93dB or better.

Tom, what kind of positioning flexibility is there with your speakers? Do they need corners? Can they perform well against a wall?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, they function well on just a wall. I ran them like that in my old house. I have them in corners now and I have to say the difference in minimal. These speakers work well out in the room as well. Really quite amazing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.