Neodymium magnets vs Ferrite magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hoffman's iron law. You can have a small box with deep bass and high efficiency.... if you throw away one of those three criteria.

The tough thing is audio is all in log scales. So that 90dB sub takes 5ft^3 where 87 would be half as big as so forth. It's always this balance that is challenging. Given how many small subs sound burpy and weak-kneed, I'll be sticking with big boxes for the forseeable future

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I think John Watkinson (he of "Art of Digital Audio" etc) reckons there are differences in magnetic materials even when they have been chosen to give the same flux in the gap. I seem to remember his comments were to do with the induced flux from the voice coil and its interaction with the hysteresis curve of the magnet.

Pretty much, but I'd hate to think 88dB is "miserable" for good bass.!

78dB. ;)

Is this really true? "There's only one way to get any LF out of a tiny box, and that's a long throw driver with miserable sensitivity"

Afraid so, can't break the laws of physics. Quality won't be great either; transient response is usually poor due to the lengthy voice-coil & therefore typically high VC inductance (Le).

78dB. ;)

Afraid so, can't break the laws of physics. Quality won't be great either; transient response is usually poor due to the lengthy voice-coil & therefore typically high VC inductance (Le).
So do you mean that the sound quality on my speakers aren't good at all? Meaning there are not high end speakers? I' am sorta confused.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I' am sorta confused.

Ofcourse, because its mostly a talk about belief and "religion"
In short, narrow minded
Dont forget that when one person say what he think is best, its because it serves his purpos best
And another may say the opposite, because he has other demands
Its mostly about realising your needs, and learn what it takes to get there
If you want the best, its just to find whats best fore your specific needs
And leave the rest be
You cant have it all
Lots of very good stuff out there when used right
And lots of good stuff that doesnt work when used in a wrong way

So do you mean that the sound quality on my speakers aren't good at all? Meaning there are not high end speakers? I' am sorta confused.

No, I don't think that's what anyone is saying. We're just trying to describe our experiences with different magnets. Personally, I think Tinitus is right, if you were to write a list of all the things that can ruin a good sound system, driver magnet material would be way down.:)

Quite. A 3in cone, irrespective of type, is never going to be renowned for it's ability to shift lots of air.

'High end' as a phrase is context and requirement dependant, so if you like them, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Neodynium = high end, not really,

Creative's been using neodymium drivers since 2003 as far as I remember, so did lots of cheap small portable speakers.

They're probably powerful for their size, but sound quality... lets just say any type of product got high-end and low-end versions.

Attachments

• 18WU_full%20size%20rear.jpg
    18WU_full%20size%20rear.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 255
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.