ideas for widebander?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Visaton B200 and Wild Burro Audio Labs' Betsy are well within your budget. I'm assuming this is only one driver per baffle (no helper woofer)? If so, you'll want a driver with a high Qts (and the baffle will still have to be quite big). I'm listening to the B200 right now in 48"hx38"w.

The Fostex 208-Sigma is a great driver but the Qts is very low and you'd absolutely need a woofer. However, building with a woofer is actually a good idea and gives you a huge range of drivers to choose from (as long as the woofer is lots more efficient than the fullranger), according to: OB Theory

I didnt like the Beta 12 at first until I ran it for a few days and loosened the suspension. It needs a tweeter of 98-100 db crossed at around 8000hz and some polyfill stuffed between the whizzer and the main cone. It works very well in the recommended 4' vented box. This setup makes my 45 amp sound loud! :cloud9:

I have heard the SP12B. A friend has owned a pair since the late 1960s. I have never had the chance to hear then side by side with the Beta 12 though. I'd pick the EV as the better driver of the two, but at a much higher price if you can find a good pair.
The tweeter I'm using with the Beta 12 is an old Pyle PA horn (maybe a H391) I've owned them for years but never tried them until a couple of months ago. They have plenty of output without being harsh sounding, at least to my ears. I put these drivers in Harderror's SPQR EZ10 horn. I have only listened to them for an hour so far but my first impression is they may replace my Fostex 206esr on my main system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.