Fat ufonken build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last night I started building a set of Micro Fonkens out of some 3/4" solid pine that I had sitting around, an old shelf in my garage actually that had a split at one end.
3/4" makes the design a bit fatter looking than normal.
I've altered some of the dimensions slightly so as to keep the internal volume and port volume as close to the original as possible.

The biggest potential problem though is that I don't have any FF85K :(
For now I'll be using some H/K drivers out of my computer speakers.
At the least it will give me something better looking to sit on my desk at work, and it just might sound better than the plastic cabs.

Here are the (horrible cell phone) pics of what I have so far.

img119.jpg

The plans taped up on the wall for easy viewing.

img121.jpg

I clamped a board on the side of the radial arm saw so that it was easy to get all the side, front, and back pieces the same height.

img122.jpg

This was the first time I had ever tried to cut a circle with my router.
I made a jig that the motorboard rotated around that allowed me to get some nice neat circles cut out.

img123.jpg

Some of the pieces sitting around.

img124.jpg

Part of the first one getting glued and clamped.

Peace,
Josh

I think I have those same Cambridge soundworks speakers. I built a set of these a few months ago and they get heavy use connected to our bedroom TV. Occasionally I bring them into my office when I'm working from home. I like them so much I am building a second set as a wedding gift for a friend.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Last night I started building a set of Micro Fonkens out of some 3/4" solid pine that I had sitting around... 3/4" makes the design a bit fatter looking than normal.

It will allow a wider champher at the edge...

How are you going to work the holey brace so that you can swap to the proper drivers in the future.

Installing the HK, into a box for the FF85 is a bit of a crap=shhot, hopefully they turn out tolerable :)

dave

It will allow a wider champher at the edge...

How are you going to work the holey brace so that you can swap to the proper drivers in the future.
I'll size it so that it works with the HK driver.
Than when it comes time for the FF85 if the brace is too large I'll carve it back a bit with a 1/2" router bit, if it's not large enough I'll build it up with another strip of pine glued on.

planet10 said:
Installing the HK, into a box for the FF85 is a bit of a crap-shoot, hopefully they turn out tolerable :)

dave
Yep, hoping for the best but not expecting too much.

About the chamfer, would it hurt drastically to round the edges of the chamfer a little bit or should they stay fairly sharp?

Thanks,
Josh

More Pics

Update with some more crummy pictures.

More clamping and glueing,
img125.jpg

The work shop,
a big step up over my previous setup which was a borrowed table saw in my driveway.
So far my most expensive tool is the Bosch Jigsaw for which I paid $89 USD.
I love craigslist.
img126.jpg

A preliminary test without the top and bottom glued on.
And my new Lenovo T500 :)
img127.jpg

Left,
img128.jpg

Right,
img129.jpg

Still to come,
Cutting the front chamfer, Mucho sanding, finishing.
I'm probably going to use a cherry poly finish on them.

Oh yeah,
They sounded pretty good.
Fairly weak in the lower frequencies.
Not really expecting much there.
They imaged much better than expected, probably in part to having them hooked up to a "real" amplifier.
I can't imaging the stock unit built in as being that great.

So, anybody recommend a chip amp to build?
I'm decent enough with a soldering iron although I'm not that up on electronics but I can follow directions :)

Peace,
Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.