Initial Impressions: Alpair 12 full-range driver by Mark Fenlon - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2010, 08:37 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Jozua,
I do not have tube amplifier so no comment on comparison. With SS, the sound is very clean (should use quality amp) and the bass is very tight and clean. If you hear first time, you might feel there is no bass due to absence of boom type bass. But after couple of days you start appreciating clear bass.

After living with these speakers and these speakers being very smooth, I wanted more. I always prefer sparkles in top end. Alpair being very smooth, I decided to add a tweeter. Bought few and tried different combinations. Finally, I decided to keep Alpair with Tang Band 25-1744 ceramic tweeter crossing at first order with 5 - 6 uF capacitor.

Parts-Express.com:Tang Band 25-1744S 1" Ceramic Dome Tweeter | Tang Band 25-1744S tang band tb speakers dome tweeter ceramic dome hard dome non-metallic dome

Let me warn you that this tweeter is very good but if you do not have quality components it may sound harsh. Very thin line between detailed and harsh. In my case it is very detailed. For example if song has orchestra playing violin in background without the tweeter you will hear violin with veil but with this tweeter everything in background come alive.

This change is like you have Alpair as smoothie with cream on it. Adding TB tweeter is like putting cherry on top of it. I like cherry, others may not like it.

But I also like to emphasize that if you like cherry do not go with soft dome tweeter. Tweeter has to be hard dome and you can not go wrong with TB ceramic tweeter.

Have fun experimenting.
Regards,
Creek
Old 16th June 2010, 07:25 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekkumar View Post
Jozua,
I do not have tube amplifier so no comment on comparison. With SS, the sound is very clean (should use quality amp) and the bass is very tight and clean. If you hear first time, you might feel there is no bass due to absence of boom type bass. But after couple of days you start appreciating clear bass.

After living with these speakers and these speakers being very smooth, I wanted more. I always prefer sparkles in top end. Alpair being very smooth, I decided to add a tweeter. Bought few and tried different combinations. Finally, I decided to keep Alpair with Tang Band 25-1744 ceramic tweeter crossing at first order with 5 - 6 uF capacitor.

Parts-Express.com:Tang Band 25-1744S 1" Ceramic Dome Tweeter | Tang Band 25-1744S tang band tb speakers dome tweeter ceramic dome hard dome non-metallic dome

Let me warn you that this tweeter is very good but if you do not have quality components it may sound harsh. Very thin line between detailed and harsh. In my case it is very detailed. For example if song has orchestra playing violin in background without the tweeter you will hear violin with veil but with this tweeter everything in background come alive.

This change is like you have Alpair as smoothie with cream on it. Adding TB tweeter is like putting cherry on top of it. I like cherry, others may not like it.

But I also like to emphasize that if you like cherry do not go with soft dome tweeter. Tweeter has to be hard dome and you can not go wrong with TB ceramic tweeter.

Have fun experimenting.
Regards,
Creek
Hello creek,

very interesting. What is about the spatiality ?
I am planing to combine the A12 (horn loaded) with an plasma tweeter.
Cut off frequency around 6 kHz (both drivers, FIR with latency compensation, numbers of taps has to be checked).
But i am a little bit afraid of an decrease in spatiality, because of going to a 2-way system.
I am asking, because your tweeter should be near to my cut off frequency.
After the arrival of my A12, i will open a separate post with my plasma projekt.

best regards from germany,

Markus
Old 17th June 2010, 05:12 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strunki View Post
Hello creek,

very interesting. What is about the spatiality ?
I am planing to combine the A12 (horn loaded) with an plasma tweeter.
Cut off frequency around 6 kHz (both drivers, FIR with latency compensation, numbers of taps has to be checked).
But i am a little bit afraid of an decrease in spatiality, because of going to a 2-way system.
I am asking, because your tweeter should be near to my cut off frequency.
After the arrival of my A12, i will open a separate post with my plasma projekt.
best regards from germany,

Markus
Hi Markus,
Could I suggest you talk to Blue Planet Acoustic in Frankfurt. They have my No.6 tweeter. This is a near-flat response unit running to 30-kHz. It may be worth considering this tweeter the Alpair 12, making a network crossing above 12-kHz. The middle to upper middle output range on the Alpair 12 is strong. Crossing at 6-kHz means losing some of the best performance range from the Alpair 12.
Thanks
Mark.
Old 18th June 2010, 10:24 AM   #74
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

another option is to mount the tweeter up or slightly rear firing (often referred to as ambient tweeter), and just a cap on the tweeter (and maybe some attenuation), no x-over on the full-range. this does add te sought after "sparkle" to the highs, without loosing any of the full-range benefits
Old 18th June 2010, 11:52 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Hi Henkjan,
Sounds like a very interesting idea. I'll do some experimenting.

Hi Markus,
I forgot to mention the Alpair 12's on-off axis character. On axis, its high range delivery is strong so you may want to experiment with the positioning of the speakers before making the crossover. You may find you like the high range with almost no assistance from the tweeter.

You can see an independent test from Japan of the Alpair 12's performance including off axis measurements:

Japanese Alpair 12 Review Now Available | Markaudio

Cheers

Mark.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:28 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

Seems most full ranges benefit from a rising response then the listener sits a bit off axis.

I beleieve most recommend crossing the axis in front of you.

perhaps a notch at 7khz would help..................

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 19th June 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:14 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

oops nevermind the notch comment in post #76

I applaud the high end response without the use of a whizzer.

I'm glad I've seen this.
I may make a call on monday and order the 12.

Thanks.

Norman
Old 19th June 2010, 03:20 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
I'm glad I've seen this.
I may make a call on monday and order the 12.

Thanks.

Norman
We have both colors in stock at Stereo Clarity.
Old 19th June 2010, 04:16 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
I'll have to try these completely naked one day
Old 19th June 2010, 05:11 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

italynstylion, nice site. I was flipping through your setup of drivers last night. Can I send stereoclarity a money order instead of a credit card ?

Norman
plz send email, I'll check it monday
jabates@rockwellcollins.com

Hide this!Advertise here!