Can anyone suggest a cabinet design for the Audio Nirvana 8" FR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a suitable cabinet design or set of plans for the AN 8" full range driver?

I have attached a copy the data sheet for the drivers in question.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Audio Nirvana  8-inch specs.jpg
    Audio Nirvana 8-inch specs.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 332
Having built some ANs, its not so clear.

Bear in mind there is much controversy about the specs for the AN drivers. You might try the AN designs. Many of the modelers here say that the AN designs can't possibly work and also that the specs aren't right.

Be that as it may, I have used the AN 2.8 design for a set of AN 10s and find it very pleasant. The room setup is not optimal but again the sound is nice. The drivers clearly improve over several hours (30ish).

During the run in I did a fair bit of listening w/ a friend who has good ears, great equipment and long experience. He also found the sound pleasant.

No FR driver is going to be the best speaker you ever heard with any type of music.

My profession involves simulation and modeling and one thing I've learned is "no matter how complex your model, the real world is more complex still".

Why is it people are called 'modellers' I wonder. Just because somebody might provide a simulation to illustrate a point, that does not necessarily preclude their ability to percieve other issues, or that they even use such software to design cabinets.

Anyway, I'm not entirely surprised that the A10 / 2.8 cabinet works acceptably, for the excellent reason that it should work acceptably, if the box is tuned appropriately. As is, it's not ideal for the smaller drivers, and that's not modelling, it's just simple physics. Some people like the resultant balance; high mass-corner driver, steadily falling response with a large peak at Fb; to each their own, but personally, I couldn't live with it.

Godzilla,

Thanks for the suggestion of the BIB's and the links. Something to think about but to my taste they are not that aesthetically pleasing though I could add a donut ring around the driver to give the basic tall box some form.

Kenpeter,

Thanks for suggesting the Karlson K8 or K10, but what I can find on the web regards these again not really what I'm after.

I had hoped that something similar to the Martin King Alpair 10 BLH design (see attached photo) that I built earlier this year might be a suitable candidate with appropriate modifications/tweeks for the AN 8". I have emailed Martin this very question and await his response.

Regards
Colin

Attachments

• t_blh_finished_219.jpg
    t_blh_finished_219.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 255
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.