fostex based mini line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody have any information on the fostex mini line array in the picture? I'm guessing they are fe107e or fe127e. Cabinet design, how they potentially sound, what amps sound good thru them, etc....... I know they aren't really line arrays, just lack of proper name at this time.

fostexlinearray.jpg

Hmm........... I've no clue what they are........Looks like a mltl. Maybe the top and bottom driver are rolled off for baffle step....

I like what the designer is trying to do, getting more volume and less distortion from his favorite driver. Problem is above and below the array there will be no highs. And I'm guessing even at exactly the middle of the array 10' back you would be mising some highs.

Norman

Thanks norman. I'm just interested in some possible replacements for my HT main speakers. I've always been a big fan of the seventh veil type speaker or short line array so those fostex based quads caught my eye. They would do double duty as my HT/music speakers. I suspect they would work pretty good in my HT setup since I cross around 100Hz to the sub. Usually listen at moderate levels. A matching center channel could be made with these plans.

https://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/107e_revencl.pdf

I guess I could take the dimensions from the plans and reverse engineer something for the mains that would place the speakers closer to each other but the tuning would need some work since there is a dedicated sub. Surrounds would be easy enough with a single driver.

These are just thoughts as I know there is usually a better option according to most people.

Last edited:
I use a dual tang band 4" bamboo in a vert stack, looking like this.
Both run wide open using loudness button to compensate for baffle step.
http://www.armonia-avm.com/omega/model-omega-minuete.jpg

I have to level it with pennies as if you stoop down, some highs go away (12').
It is a pain but works for me and anyone else at the same vert height.

4 drivers with a 5" frame would be disaster I think.
The 7th veil used bandors which I though were 2.5" frame.
You could use the tang band w2-803sm but they are $16 each and only have 13cm2 area. It takes 4 of those to equal the area of 1 TB bamboo 4". I've been thinking of using the TB but I have a bunch of the peerless 830970 to try in a 4 stack first.

Norman

The bandor 50mm has a cone area of 26cm2, double that of the 2" tang bands. The tang bands have high f3's in sealed boxes due to qts and their f3 compared to the bandors.

A couple of people have run 4 of the audience A3 drivers (32cm2) with good results (ouch, pricy). Their rising response helps compensate for loss of highs from cancellation/smearing/combing. The A3 has an 8db spike near 8khz.

http://www.audience-av.com/parts/specificatons/A3StatsGraph.pdf
Audience

There is a pair of A3's on the swap meet forum for $240 with free shipping, no offers since 1st November.

I've read the w2-800sl works well (japanese comments), but the qts of .25 with Fs of 160, means a qtc .707 would have an f3 of 452hz (yikes).

Norman

Given that people like the 4 x Audience a3 vertical mini array, you can use 4 of the same frame size (84mm). Ignoring build quality, xmax, freq responses, and sound differences, lower cost alternatives are ..............

Fostex Fe87e
TB W3-593sf
Tc9
Tg9

I'd go for the tc9, especially as the other tc9 in no longer availiable and 10+ is $11.61 each right now.
Vifa TC9FD18-08, 3.5" Full Range from Madisound

Norman

Dave, I'm sure it will be good, specially with bass support. I tried baffle stepping and covering 1 of my dual driver setup but preferred both drivers with baffle step eq.

Scott, That dbr seems to have so many benefits for cone motion reduction (always a plus for us full rangers !!!). I'd imagine that phase change so high in freq is audible though. I remember the badly done one in the zu druid in soundstage.com sept 2002, terrible ............
SoundStage! Measurements - Zu Cable Druid Loudspeakers (9/2002)

I think I'll make a sexy 4 x b3s vertical flat array. Should work well with zaph's notch.

Norman

I too have eyed the tc9, especially after I saw a car review doing a shootout...........
Seems the tg9 has some thing not liked. Looking closely at the response you see a series of small spikes 1-4khz, that could be ringing that makes the driver not as loveable.

The tc9 has that spike at 8khz that would need a small notch, others it looks great. Only problem is I think they are discontinuing most of that stuff as more and more of those types of drivers are vanishing.

Oh yea, no thanks needed, I enjoy chatting about this stuff.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.