Ping Scottmoose Bruce 1v2 Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tested before and after and the dowels make very good braces (See attachment).Adding one in the cc helped as well. I've used dowels in this way in many projects before and they work well. I'm also adding a center piece in the middle of each of the cut-outs on the sides of the cabinet. This will add structure all the way through the center of the cabinet. MDF offers better damping properties but it does not have the rigidity of birch ply. I prefer a well braced mdf cabinet over birch. Les Hudson

Attachments

• 100_0819.jpg
    100_0819.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 220
10" Nirvana / Bruce 1V2 Great combo!

Turns out that 10" Nirvanas and Bruce 1V2 are a great combo. Sounds very good. Only 6db eq on the bass which will come down after the driver breaks in. I may experiment with a supra baffle or similar. Les Hudson

Attachments

• 100_0828.jpg
    100_0828.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 227
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I tested before and after and the dowels make very good braces

The dowel will brace but it is the least effective scheme... here is a figure from an AES paper that is better than a thousand words... higher resonance is better (bt the square of the frequency)

106874d1209003569-discussion-arising-geddes-loudspeaker-tappan-braces.gif

MDF offers better damping properties

That is a myth... the impedance changes at each ply boundary in a piece of multiply give it better damping than the more or less homogenis structure of MDF. What MDF does is store energy and ooze it out later as a low-level time smeared drone.

dave

X-mas holiday project

Hello to all,

just ordered two Fe207E.

The Bruce virus has settled deep inside my brains.
Being a good woodworker I would like to dare curvy top and bottom. Are there drawings that show me where I should stick in the cyrcle and what radius I should apply?
This would be helpful for me.

There was a threat, where phase plugs were recommended for the Fe207.
Should I do this, and where I can buy them?

Xpecially thanks to planet-10 and scottmoose.

Regards

Sam

Half Bruce possible?

After long boring and exhausting discussions with my home government:sad:, I have to modify my project. Comparing the plans of half Cjang and full Chang, I am shure that I can build a half Bruce. ( the waste of my precutted boards could be minimalized).

I have attached my plan and would be very happy if I can get some advice of designing the port from cc to the horn.

So keeping this amazing design from Scott, it woud be very difficult for my wife to place flowerpots or perfumed candles or picture frames on the top of Half Bruce :p

Thanks a lot.

Sam

Attachments

• Half Bruce.JPG
    Half Bruce.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 111
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.