Transmission line cross-sectional area question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to build a Classic TL out of standard sewer pipes.

The sketch shows how I intend to construct it.
My question is if this is possible considering the physics of a TL, I mean the cross-sectional area of, especially, section 2 is quite funny. Will MJK's mathcad sheets give me a relevant simulation?

Something tells me that a cross-sectional area like this will be problematic but
thats just a feeling...

Regards H@kan

Attachments

• classic-tl-pipes-dim.jpg
    classic-tl-pipes-dim.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 159
The sketch is just for illustrating purpose. I think I will use a ~3" FR driver, perhaps Alpair 6, and tune the line to ~65-70 Hz so the total hight of the cabinet will end up around half a meter.

Yes I can model it with MJK's sheets but I was uncertain if the geometry of the cross-sectional area is restricted to certain conventional geometries.

Suppose that you have a A*B cross-sectional area. Wouldn't there be a break-point, when one of the sides become significant greater than the other, when the model no longer gives you a relevant output?

In my case (in section 2) the "A*B" ratio is ~1:12

Regards H@kan

Brilliant idea.

It would be pretty neat to build it out of clear plastic, so everyone can see the "magic" that goes on inside.

Chris

Yea that would have been nice but besides that you probably would just see damping material, as Dave pointed out, the main idea was to use standard sewer pipes and I have never seen any transparent ones. I can see why considering the conventional usage of sewer pipes :)

One can of course, if using clear plastic, use some "fancy" damping material :)

il_430xN.55013368.jpg

Regards H@kan

Those are big pipes , more than a half inch thick , used by public administration for water distribution , I guess . Using orange and gray ones ,which are thinner , brings the problem of bracing , which can be done with lead sheets , and the resulting weight would be then comparable if done with MDF .

Organizing the tubes like this is easier to build small cylindersealed at the top. big one on the bottom. Not to scale.
dave

Interesting! This would be far easier than my original concept.
I can see one problem thou, my kids will probably "fill her up" with lego bricks and other junk :)

Those are big pipes , more than a half inch thick , used by public administration for water distribution , I guess . Using orange and gray ones ,which are thinner , brings the problem of bracing , which can be done with lead sheets , and the resulting weight would be then comparable if done with MDF .

The pipes I'm planning to use are, as you correctly assumes, thin pipes with a thickness of around 5 mm. I think at least the bigger surrounding tube will need some bracing.

This product is cheap, easy to mount and I think it will do the job http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=sv&js=y&u=http://www.biltema.se/products/product.asp%3FiSecId%3D1341%26iItemId%3D148054&sl=sv&tl=en&history_state0=

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.