Suzy Chang build mistake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building Suzy but made one too narrow. Somehow the internal width is now 5 7/8". I am using 3/4 wood so I got one correct and messed up the other. I build these different from other folks and use solid soft maple. I glue the sides and top together and then add front and back. I can make the top chamber bigger if that is all I need, by say 1/4", but the throat will be off by a small amount. I can open it up also, if needed.

Suggestions.

Bob Howell

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is really a question for Scott... he is kinda scarce at the moment, his Dad is having health issues and his mind and his time is on that.

If i understand you, the cabinets in the pair are different? If they were the same i'd say try it and see how it works... you are off by 7%, the drivers can be as much as 10-20% out.

If they are different you will need to build another to get a matched pair.

dave

My 10mins of free time today is rapidly running out, but essentially the only way out is to build a new box. Sorry. The point that the room dominates down low & that driver variences are also wide is a good one, but it will likely still make an audible difference. YMMV -try it first & if you a/ can't hear a difference, and b/ can live with the aesthetics, then you've got away with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.