German Fullrange-Speakers Any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I have seen in previous threads that the Fullrange Speaker company was a split from AER, and that the person behind it was accused of copying AER's drivers.

I just wondered if anyone had heard these? How do they compare with the competition.

Fullrange Speakers

The field coil driver looks very interesting, and well made (typicaly German). Although expensive, it is not in the Feastrex league.

Looking close up, the cones look a lot like Lowthers.

Also anyone know anything about goat skin used as a suround material?

Thanks

David

They can be found on ebay for 5600$ us.

The specs are lacking. The efficiency is obviously front horn loaded and with the voltage near maximum to the field coil. A efficiency/qts curve would be useful.

I played with fertin field coil and failed to hear the magic that field coil are supposed to bring in music and it was quite disappointing.

It may be useful to have adjustable qts but the price to pay is very high.

I think that these,. AER, and Lowther are all very similar variations of a theme. Each will sound different, (different resonances in the frequency range), but also each will have the same problems caused by a thin cone of constant thickness material and a large whizzer with unterminated edge.
Thin leather has been used successfully in the past as a surround, (as have other "odd" materials) but its no magic bullet. It depends entirely on how well the application is engineered.
I note there is no engineering data, (Freq.resp.curve, etc) to confuse the reader!! Not that that really matters. Like Lowther, some may like them, others will hate them

It was the 20ex model. We tested it OB and singular. The goal was not to find the best loading for bass but to find out the transparency in mid and high frequency which wasn't bad but not impressive.

The high are there but they lack information and are recessed. The mid was little thick and lacking punch. Alto violin where not very realistic for example. It sounded kind of slow overall and they already had many hours of use. It would perform better with a bright sounding electronics I think.

It can be a good (but expensive) wideband driver in a 3 way setup but I would prefer a cheap pair of visaton b200 for this task and put the money on better subs and tweeters.

If you are after OB single driver it may be a good contender but still the high and mid are not enough for me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.