Cheap Version of the famous Tysen speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I haven't measured anything - I don't have the equipment.

I only listened to the bass end (20Hz upwards), and, while 30Hz is audible, it's quite quiet compared to 40Hz. Chances are that this is partly room gain - 30Hz should be lower (in volume) than it sounds.

That is a measurement... crude, but still a measurement

dave

Let's not get into how it measures - that's not the point. The point is the sound. That's why many people out there love tube amps - they clip early, but they do it in such a nice way that people just don't care. This speaker, while I can't measure it and it's not what I designed it to be, is still a damn good speaker, therefore I'm keeping it the way it is.

[/rant]

Chris

Worked well into the evening yesterday, and got the second speaker finished.

All I can saw is wow! I don't think I've listened to anything better than these... Bass goes lower than the size of the drivers would suggest, and the mids and highs are just so... natural, lifelike, and they get the sound of instruments right - cymbals sound metallic etc, so it's all looking good atm.

There's just one thing that's annoyed me now - it takes most people many years to get some speakers they're happy with. I've fluked it, but now what? Do I go on to build amplifiers? Or keep making bigger/smaller versions of the one I just made?

Chris

Glad you're satisfied with your first build--but so what? Just because you like those speakers is no reason to stop. I was happy with my first build, and that didn't slow me down. I planned to do two builds this summer. Ended up with four. And Martin has me working on designs with his MathCAD worksheets now. There is no end to the madness...:no:

Cheers, Jim

Thanks for the encouragement. I suppose I could knock up some matching satellites...

Dave, as you'll probably have gathered, I've got lots of paper cone FRers, so it looks like a kit will be winging it's way to me shortly...

I think my next (really major) build will be when I have my own house. I'm thinking have a big, central amplifier, and a pair of speakers in each major room... I'm hoping for an open-plan space, so sound travels well... Thinking pair of subs with a 15" woofer each, then something a little smaller for mains etc... (This will be in a few years though)

Chris

Last edited:
I'm changing amplifiers around. The most powerful I have is an all in one 75W/ch, but these Watts aren't real watts - you get loads extra treble at vol 25/31, but the last 4 units on the volume control is where most of the gain is (it's a digital amp).

My next amp is one I got from school (they were going to bin it...), which I took apart and discovered it had a massively under-done PSU, so, a pair of 4800uF caps later and I have an amp that can use all it's volume control (into 8ohm) with little (nasty) distortion. I think it's a class A, but I'm not sure. Definately an analogue one. 50W/channel, around 40 of which are useful.

I also have a little amp that I took from a pair of PC speakers (got bored one day), which gives approx 7W/ch into 4ohm. Around 3 of those 7 watts are of any use. Pretty sure it's class A - gets very hot in less than 1/2 hour's use, no matter the volume or impedance load on it.

So far, the best sounding one has been the CD player, but the maximum volume has been limited severely by the fact that it adds way too much treble when you turn it up. My favourite is the amp from school, simply because it can go louder, and still sounds pretty good. Looks like a new (really good) amp is in order for Christmas/Birthday.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.