Cheap Version of the famous Tysen speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info on the supplier.

With regards to the FR12 in the Portrait, they were my first DIY speaker project having mainly built valve amps and phono stages previously, and while not necessarily a particularly high-end driver they still do a respectable job considering the unit cost. If it weren't for the fact I've got the urge to build some more speakers, experiment with new designs and get a bit more bass I'd be more than happy to stick with my Portraits.

Ewan

Chris,

Meant to say as your working with Visaton drivers have you tried their own speaker simulation software BoxSim (Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories). It is all in German unfortunately but I played with it when looking at the Portrait design and was able to get some idea of how it worked (Google Translate came in useful as well :)). In fact I've been playing with it today seeing if you can use an FRS8M in the Stella Light design you posted earlier.

Regards,
Ewan

Slight confession here - I've been listening to the prototypes with one crossover wired up (a bit) wrong. I've ended up with a 150% error in the inductors...

Will sort that now.

Chris

Pretty graph of what I currently have is attached.

Attachments

• FAST speaker output.JPG
    FAST speaker output.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 449
Been playing around with Boxsim and your idea of 2x W130S per cabinet combined with an FRS8M and the plot attached is what I've bodged together so far. The W130S are in a 21L BR tuned to ~43Hz and the FRS8M in a 1.5L sealed enclosure. The plot looks ok to me but I'm no expert in speaker design and I'm sure there are flaws with it.

Ewan

Attachments

• Test_Output.jpg
    Test_Output.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 400
I find it a little strange that winISD gives an f3 of 42Hz using a box size 17L, tuned to 46Hz, but, when I attempt to recreate that, I get an f3 in the mid-50s.

Seems to me like a 4ohm resistor in series with the speaker will help to tame the rising response a little. The speakers have arrived at the depot, Dad's picking them up tomorrow.

Chris

PS - just seen the phase plots, and it's no wonder there's a drop in frequency around 50Hz - the ports are (for some reason) completely out of phase with the woofers.

Last edited:
And that it only runs under Windows.

dave

We should all go to Linux anyway. Boot time is under 20 seconds, and you can't mess it up.

Ah-Ha! - the bass response is affected by the stuffing in the sim. Use the sliders when you select bass-reflex to change the amount of stuffing.

Chris

Attachments

• FAST 2x W130 1x FRS8M.JPG
    FAST 2x W130 1x FRS8M.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Linux does not have the high level of elegance or the application base of the Mac. And why should i use a poor man's version of UNIX when i am all ready running the real thing. (BTW Apple has supplied quite a bit of improved code for Linux.

As to boot time, what is a couple minutes every couple weeks?

The best way to run Linux on a Mac is under VMWare Fusion on an Intel Mac (same for Windows).

dave

We should all go to Linux anyway. Boot time is under 20 seconds, and you can't mess it up.

Considering some of the users I've dealt with in the past there are no foolproof operating systems that they can't mess up :rolleyes:

But back to the speakers, there are lots of interesting little things in Boxsim that I've only started to discover by playing with it. One I found today seems to optimise/tweak the crossover based on a series of parameters such as whether or not you want strong bass response, more treble etc. It's the Weichenoptimiser option under the Extras menu if your interested.

Ewan

I'm on my computer almost every day (addicted to this forum), so, with my 4 year old PC, I end up waiting a fair amount of time.

Must admit, after trying a few Mac computers, they seem pretty good, but I'm still not convinced (teenager's budget)

Back on topic - what do we think of the response curve? good enough or could be better?

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.