Flood killed my speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Flood killed my speakers

The recent flooding in Manila killed the Half Chili's I built for the room referenced in this thread.

I was able to save my 45SET amp so I'll still be using that. What would you guys recommend I build?? It'll be for female vocals and jazz and requirements are high sensitivity and small footprint.

Flooding also killed the speakers in my office system. The room is rectangular, around 15' x 20'. Amplification will be with a Musical Fidelity 100w/ch amp so sensitivity isn't an issue. What would you recommend??
Old 5th October 2009, 02:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So sorry to hear that! Did you lose the drivers too or just the cabinets?

Godzilla
Old 5th October 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Echoing Godzilla, sorry to hear that. We have family in Alabang who lost everything. But you saved your tube amp, which is good.
Old 5th October 2009, 03:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Fostex drivers have paper cones and they quickly turned to mush so they will have to be replaced. I lost my Rega P3-24 and a pair of Klipsch Forte's. The verdict is still out on my Denon CD player but I was able to save my Musical Fidelity amp/preamp from the office system and my tube setup from home.
Old 5th October 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

I would think about going Open Baffle.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 6th October 2009, 09:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So should I go with the Half Chili (FE167E)again for my home system??

For the office system I'm thinking of doing a Metronome with FE127E drivers. BTW, the room is 16.5'x16.5' (made a mistake with the original measurement).
Old 6th October 2009, 03:43 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post

For the office system I'm thinking of doing a Metronome with FE127E drivers. BTW, the room is 16.5'x16.5' (made a mistake with the original measurement).
Sounds good to me...

There sure has been a lot of natural disasters on your side of the pacific of late... the news photos of people wading chest deep thru the streets only hinted at the devastation.

dave
Old 7th October 2009, 02:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow View Post

Were you happy with the Half Chili's or are you curious about trying a new design? You know what you will get if you do them again but if they were lacking to your ear in any department then I'm sure you are wondering if something else would be better. If I were in your shoes it would all depend on my opinion of the Half Chili's. I wouldn't hesitate to build another set if I really liked them and had little or no issue with their performance.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but you are alive and able to build more speakers so you are in more of the lucky category relatively speaking. I've never faced any kind of flood situation other than Hurricane season in Central Florida which is usually more about wind damage. Good Luck.
Old 7th October 2009, 03:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The 45SETs are crying for more sensitivity.....something in the range of 97db would be great. Any fullrange drivers out there that sensitive??
Old 7th October 2009, 05:27 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

More efficiency = more $$$, larger driver, larger box in most cases.

FE208eS is close... has been shown to work well in Sachiko. FE206e/206eN would be a less expensive alternative at the cost of a dB or 2.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1455

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!