Flood killed my speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The recent flooding in Manila killed the Half Chili's I built for the room referenced in this thread.

I was able to save my 45SET amp so I'll still be using that. What would you guys recommend I build?? It'll be for female vocals and jazz and requirements are high sensitivity and small footprint.

Flooding also killed the speakers in my office system. The room is rectangular, around 15' x 20'. Amplification will be with a Musical Fidelity 100w/ch amp so sensitivity isn't an issue. What would you recommend??

The Fostex drivers have paper cones and they quickly turned to mush so they will have to be replaced. I lost my Rega P3-24 and a pair of Klipsch Forte's. The verdict is still out on my Denon CD player but I was able to save my Musical Fidelity amp/preamp from the office system and my tube setup from home.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So should I go with the Half Chili (FE167E)again for my home system??

For the office system I'm thinking of doing a Metronome with FE127E drivers. BTW, the room is 16.5'x16.5' (made a mistake with the original measurement).

Sounds good to me...

There sure has been a lot of natural disasters on your side of the pacific of late... the news photos of people wading chest deep thru the streets only hinted at the devastation.

dave

So should I go with the Half Chili (FE167E)again for my home system??

For the office system I'm thinking of doing a Metronome with FE127E drivers. BTW, the room is 16.5'x16.5' (made a mistake with the original measurement).

Were you happy with the Half Chili's or are you curious about trying a new design? You know what you will get if you do them again but if they were lacking to your ear in any department then I'm sure you are wondering if something else would be better. If I were in your shoes it would all depend on my opinion of the Half Chili's. I wouldn't hesitate to build another set if I really liked them and had little or no issue with their performance.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but you are alive and able to build more speakers so you are in more of the lucky category relatively speaking. I've never faced any kind of flood situation other than Hurricane season in Central Florida which is usually more about wind damage. Good Luck.

Afterglow,

Really sorry to hear about your bad luck. We got media coverage of the typhoon and flooding, which appeared almost biblical. At least you are alive.

I can relate to your angst having lost a number of speakers to flooding myself. The main issue I had was major damage to the cabinets due to timber/chipboard swelling and joints splitting. Amazingly, none of the speaker cones appear to have been water damaged.

If the fostex cones turned to mush, I wonder how they generally fare long term in a humid environment like the Philippines ?

Manila isn't more humid than Miami during summer or Hawaii. The problem is that it went chest deep in my listening room and the speakers stewed in the muck overnight. Amazingly, the cabinets look fine....but water definitely got in to the deflector panels so rather than deal with that, I'd rather rebuild.

Lots of DIY Fostex speakers here and I haven't really heard of any humidity-related problems yet......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.