Recommendation for inexpensive driver suited for classical music...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Can you guys help me with a recommendation on a inexpensive fullrange speaker that suits classical music really good? I listen a lot to Dvorák, Puccini, Verdi, Händl and similar composers. Also like modern pop, progressive and electronica, but using headphones for that.

Tried and owned lowthers many years ago, fantastic, but I don´t want to go down that route right now, since I have 3 fairly small kids wich have hands and fingers they like to put everywhere. Also the build usually is quite complicated.

My priorities are dynamics at low listening levels, good separation and clarity. I know very well these things does´nt come cheap, but how far can you go with, lets say 200US$/pair? I intend to drive them with either a tripath or hypex diy build. Would have prefered tubes, but those small and curious fingers....

How about using the HiVi B3S or B3N instead? Zaph liked them and built a small very well documented system around them (http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html). Note that a subwoofer is a must for drivers this small - from Zaph "Like all other 3" drivers, this speaker has serious harmonic distortion below 100hz". So why 3" if a subwoofer has to be used? Again from Zaph "they are large enough to blend well with a subwoofer, but small enough to have high frequency extension and off axis response that doesn't stink".

Xmax is higher than many other fullrange drivers, even the larger ones.. And the cone is still very light, mms = 1,1 gr.. Looks promising to me!

I might go for these!! What kind of enclosure would do them jusice?

If I might make a suggestion, instead of finding drivers you like and then trying to find or design an enclosure you may want to look at the enclosures first and then build it as designed using the drivers it is designed for provided it is in your price range.
You sound like you have some experience from over the years but it doesn't sound like you want to start from scratch and design an enclosure and experiment with it. You are looking for a proven design and there are many here. 10+ pieces of wood per enclosure is very realistic for most of the designs. Most use the same width cut for all of the internal pieces, baffle, top and bottom which makes things much easier.

Ok, fair enough... It´s easy to be carried away when planning..

So, I guess we have to take a step back to the first question..

Design suited for classical music
Dynamics and clarity
Drivers for max 200$'
10-12 piece woodcount
Size its not the main issue, but not OB:s with the width of a barn
Driven by class-d amp

1. Planet10 FF85 + CSS design

Any more suggestions?

So the $200 budget is for just the drivers? The FF85/SDX7 Tysen may still be a bit over that unless you can find a deal or someone selling some slightly used. The Tysen's are on my short list of future builds.
As the week progresses I'm sure you will get more suggestions and recommendations.

Well, it depends how much you gain when going up in size? Don´t want the footprint to be too wide, height and depth is not an issue..

There's is always the Saburo http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn-plans.html & DTB's build thread http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1142.

I've listened to DTB's pair a few times now in different settings and they really have something a bit special happening. Elgar's Pomp & C just soars in all its over the top glory from these.The build looks complex, but its all straight lines and 90 degree corners, plus you can always call on Dave D & Scott for advice and encouragement.

A pair of Fe126's from madisound & some phase plugs should be well within your budget.

If you want to know more about them Dave the Bass (DTB) is a member on this forum as well, he's a laid back dude who likes to chat.

Monacor driver looks interesting...

Simon C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.