which driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I must ask about my aim shortly if you dont mind because I got so much confused reading hunds of pages.

I use buffered passive driven high resolution vfet amplifier for midrange & tube pre driven tube amp for trebles, adjusting volume through a common master 4 gang attenuator. I currently use monitor audio pmc703 speaker. Removing the XO, its magnesium 6,5" woofer is directly connected to vfet amp, produces something up to 6k perfectly. Its magnesium tweeter is connected to tube amp by only a cap where I choosed a value so that trebles and bass combine wonderfully. This beats ff85k at all but only lacking those terrific transients of ff85k at some narrow area, but showing preferable transients as a whole. I need a fullrange driver to insert between woofer and trebles to add more fullrange purity and immediacy to my sound yielding to me on close to perfect speaker. I wil adjust my trebles by its cap, woofers may need its Xo again for only below where they start to be worse than fullrange. My referance for this is coral flat10II that I used before.

I tried Coral Flat10II in a simple big sealed box and as open baffle. Being notiably peaky, Corals lacked too much trebles and also some important details. Badly, music was too colorful, simply changing the soul of music to somewhat else. Other parameters were good for daily enjoyment. But they had such a purity and immediacy that, I have never obtained this by AER mk-1 big t-line of my friend, fostex ff85k bass reflex or any other 2 way speakers I experienced or tried. Being extremely neutral and accurate, ff85k had better staging and transients but again lacked that Coral midband making listener in strong contact with record. FF85k was very interesting producing one of the best transients on the world at a narrow area of spectrum, beating very good headphones. But it was for nearfield listening and they did not match to my big speakers as an inserted fullrange driver. I also love yamaha beryllium midband drivers producing maybe the best resolution ever causing listener impresive being there effect, continous charm.

-Is there anyone using Yamaha beryllium drivers on his DIY speakers? What are good and bad sides comparing it to pure fullrange drivers? Are you getting the same resolution?

-Is there anyone using fullrange in his 3 way speakers? What is the fullrange driver giving best midrange if treble and deep bass was not an issue? My listening point is 3,2meters from system getting best from my speakers. So I dont know if any variant of fostex fe103e will do the job for me because they all like ff85k seem to be perfect at nearfield listening.

-Do you think older alnico variants of fe103 are colorful comparing to fe103e? What do you think the differences are?

-Anyone comparing any coral fullrange speaker to fe103, older fe103a, fe127e, magnesium mg850? What is your thoghts in terms of only midrange?

Thank you so much
Mesut B.

I use a fullrange in a 3way speaker: Dayton RS180 + FF125k + NeoCD1.0. But the project is not yet finished. They seem work well together.

I do not know why do you think that fullranges are only for near field? If you use BSC or put them in a horn, it will work well even in big room. even FF85k can be used for far field if you cross it at >400-500Hz.

The best fostex midrange is probably FE108E but is too expensive for me.

>>> Is there anyone using fullrange in his 3 way speakers? What is the fullrange driver giving best midrange if treble and deep bass was not an issue?

I think this is the way to go for best sound in a home environment.

I use Fostex 165k and think it's terrific. But there are lots of great drivers out there to choose from. Not sure any can be called best. Decide your budget and pick your poison i always say.

Godzilla

I bought an old alnico foster variant. It lacks bass, even upper bass, very extended but lacks necessary treble extension for 2 way usage. Attenuating it to match spl, cutting low limits of tweeter and fullrange unit by continuous listening tests with AB to my original speakers, finally I glued fullrange boxes on top of my lovely rosewood speakers. This is too hard job, if drivers cannot already match in color of sound, staging width-depth, spectrum to produce final soul of music without distorting original feelings of tracks, etc.. Alignment is themost important in my tests. I was only lucky enogh.. I am very happy with result.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.