Desktop XL - a compact TL for the CSS EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the design was already mentioned in another thread, but here I want to present it on it's own: Desktop XL.

It is a compact folded TL (the same style TL that I did for the Alpair 5 that was called the desktop TL, this one is a lot bigger, hence the name Desktop XL) that features the new CSS EL70.

desktopXL.jpg
View attachment henkjan-DT-TL-EL70-map-300709.pdf

The speaker will play without a notch, but many will appreciate a notch filter to make the sound more neutral. I recommend a simple RCL consisting of a 0.15mH coil, a 1.5ohm resistor, and a 47uF capacitor. the result of this notch can be seen in the measurement below:
EL70 in desktop XL.png
as can be seen, I did not make it completely flat, but left just enough of the extra midrange to give voices that extra presence (I like that in a full ranger). Increasing the value of the resistor to 1.8ohm or 2.2ohm will cure that.

In the drawing (thanks to dave for the artwork) I mention that the distribution of the stuffing is "according to taste". this also has to do with how the box is placed. I have listened mostly to them when standing relatively free, and in that case I have not put any stuffing at all in the open end (so simply 1 mat of Sonofil in the closed end) and was more than happy with the bass. But when on a desktop and/or closer to a wall some damping might be needed.

How do they sound: well on the general qualities of the EL70 much has been said already, it is one fine fullranger, excelent imaging, not hiding details, and good high. and this TL gives it a realy nice bass, not just deep, but with plenty dynamics.

now the only problem I have is where do I put this speaker without my wife freaking out :rolleyes:

Not yet! I just want to get all the information ready then start it when I have time. Hopefully I can start building it in early next year. Right now I have two projects running, a KT88 SE Amp and a rebuilt of my old EL34 parallel push pull Amp. Thanks for your great box plan and your good help!

I just put completed the first of a pair of Desktop XLs. I've been putting off building speakers for quite a while but found these plans and they looked simple enough to build.

Just the one took the weekend (including half a day of buying materials and components) to build. It's the first proper (ie. with actual plans and measurments) speaker I build and initial impressions are, well, really good. :)

Did a couple of listens with clamps on when the speaker wasn't completely finished and I was sort of disappointed (but knew enough not to judge at that stage). So when I finally played it completely sealed, my jaw dropped squarely on the floor. There was an huge amount of bass in them, and the cone's hardly moving. Now, the bass is a bit boomy, so I've tried stuffing the open end with a few grams of wool (about 10%, as per the instructions), which flattened the bass response but also took away a bit much of it. I just jammed it in the mouth, not wanting to disassemble the driver. Should I plopp it in higher in the funnel instead, or perhaps just use less?

I'll probably not do much more trial-and-error stuffing until I've got the whole pair completed. Right now, I'm just really happy I've a single speaker that already plays the **** out of everything I've previously built (or owned, for that matter). Thanks! :)

I'll put up pictures from the build in a few days, but now I'll need to get some sleep.

the design was already mentioned in another thread, but here I want to present it on it's own: Desktop XL.

It is a compact folded TL (the same style TL that I did for the Alpair 5 that was called the desktop TL, this one is a lot bigger, hence the name Desktop XL) that features the new CSS EL70.

View attachment 141812
View attachment 141811

The speaker will play without a notch, but many will appreciate a notch filter to make the sound more neutral. I recommend a simple RCL consisting of a 0.15mH coil, a 1.5ohm resistor, and a 47uF capacitor. the result of this notch can be seen in the measurement below:
View attachment 141810
as can be seen, I did not make it completely flat, but left just enough of the extra midrange to give voices that extra presence (I like that in a full ranger). Increasing the value of the resistor to 1.8ohm or 2.2ohm will cure that.

In the drawing (thanks to dave for the artwork) I mention that the distribution of the stuffing is "according to taste". this also has to do with how the box is placed. I have listened mostly to them when standing relatively free, and in that case I have not put any stuffing at all in the open end (so simply 1 mat of Sonofil in the closed end) and was more than happy with the bass. But when on a desktop and/or closer to a wall some damping might be needed.

How do they sound: well on the general qualities of the EL70 much has been said already, it is one fine fullranger, excelent imaging, not hiding details, and good high. and this TL gives it a realy nice bass, not just deep, but with plenty dynamics.

now the only problem I have is where do I put this speaker without my wife freaking out :rolleyes:
what do you thing if that "home" is suitable for CHR 70?
any adjustment needed..?
I'm looking for solution with CHR 70 with total height 520mm (external)...
any idea...

Come to think of it, boomy was not really the right word for it. The sub bass is certainly there, but it's like the mid bass is absent. How did you stuff the closed end? I put in about 44 grams (according to my kitchen scale) on the inside of the baffle, the overflow wrapping around the sides.

I did skimp a bit on the material, I'm afraid. I did get really nice, void-free birch ply, but I was given the choice of 12mm and 18mm and since I was on a budget, I went with the 12mm (keeping the internal dimensions, of course). The only part of the speaker I can feel any vibrations on is the top, right behind the driver.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
vlad... both the images you linked in your post are on your hard drive so no-one can see them. The image in the attachment is exactly what i've done topologically, but i was working with a design with no offset so the terminus is out the top.

The curves in yours are actually somewhat counter prodictive. The flare at the corners without act as a low pass filter, so you get less passband ripple (or the same ripple with more bass -- depending on stuffing)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.