help with guessing the specs of this driver...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I recently ordered some cheap full range drivers.
After completing my order, I asked if they had a spec sheet, to which they replied, no :confused: . Apparently even the manufacturer only lists them as full range :p

I got them for playing around with, trying to learn a bit about making speakers, so it is no real loss.

But, can anyone give me a rough idea on what sort of specs I might be looking at? I know that it is a shot in the dark, but maybe...

They are these http://www.pro-tecc.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=14451

At R29.00, just less than $4, I am not expecting much, but for buggering around with, they should be OK, but It would be nice to have some idea :)

Thanks a bunch.

Travis

Last edited:
hello.
that kind of speaker remembers me on a visaton or monacor .........
what dimensions has it?
with a multimeter you can measure the resistance of the voicecoil.......res around 3 ohm is a 4 ohm speaker....... and res around 6,....ohm should be 8 ohm impedance.
with a signal generator (soundcard.......or cd with sinus tones....or......) you can measure the resonant frequency..........
greetings

Thanks,

I was digging around last night for some test software, so that might be a plan. Will the test data be useable using an an OK mic and a laptop sound card?

The speakers should be arriving sometime this week, but I think they are 4inches by 4 inches, that is about all I can tell without having them in my hands.

yeah if the point is learning about stuff, this sounds like a good oppurtunity to learn about how to measure driver parameters!

As far as free software goes, there's always speaker workshop:
http://www.speakerworkshop.com/

Speaker workshop is really powerful, but it doesn't have the most user friendly interface, and the documentation is a little weak, but if you're up to the challenge, with a couple home-made cables and a regular PC sound card, you can measure the speaker parameters more precisely than the data you would have received from the manufacturer anyway.

Also, the community has put together an "Unofficial Manual" for speaker workshop that, albeit not perfect, does cover everything in a step-by-step manner. you can find it here (among other places, I assume) http://www.esnips.com/doc/9856a066-9c2f-4796-a98c-52925eaef29b/sw-manual

Are there any other free speaker measurement software/solutions out there other than speaker workshop that are a bit more user friendly?

P.S. if you end up going with speaker workshop and using the unofficial manual, there, in the manual they suggest building a "jig" which is a somewhat complicated switchbox of connectors and switches. This is nice as it does everything you need for all speaker testing functions in one box, but if it's more than you want to tackle right off the bat, the speaker workshop help file documents a few much simpler cables you can make in "cables and connectors" that work just as well.

They arrived !

I picked them today and plugged them into for a "Test", hastily fitting them into a few different sized shoe boxes. Not too bad actually, but calling them full range might be a stretch :)

I hooked up an old tweeter and they sound a lot better, and a smallish sub will be a good plan for the lower end.

I will bet setting up some tests with speaker workshop soon, hopefully sunday, and see what I can see.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Richie00boy - nice site, your pickn mix active cross over looks interesting, I think I will give it a whirl :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.