Question about Open Baffle project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I have a question of ignorance. I'm building a two-way Open Baffle speaker with a large 15 inch woofer on the bottom based on the Martin King passive two-way projects I found on-line. When laying out the placement for the woofer, I centered it 10 in from the bottom. My question is do I leave the bottom of the H-frame open to the floor? If I close it off to keep the 16 inch opening the bottom of the H-Frame will be off the floor and that seems counter-intuitive to me.

Cordially,
Graf

What size room is the max for the MJK OB?

I'm considering building the MJK Eminence 15A / Fostex OB design.
I have a larger than average listening room, rectangular with a high skillion ceiling. Plasterboard & glass. There are no problems with placing the OB's away from the rear wall, but it occurred to me to ask (before construction!) if my room was too large for this design at reasonable listening levels.

Would anyone care to comment with their experience in larger rooms?

Thanks

Doug

don't worry Brisso57. the ones i built reside in a 2000 sq. ft studio,
ceiling mounted. the guy i half deaf, and is completely happy.

i am not saying that these don't sound great to someone with good
hearing.

again, don't worry. every speaker can be overdriven, but you are
going to like these. just do it.

I haven't taken these anywhere outside of my living room, which isn't big, but configured such that I can use these ~4ft from the wall behind them. Other than pushing them after 100hrs of breaking in to see how much my ears could take, I very rarely push these into concert levels. I think they could fill a much larger room with ease. The detail is such that I find I don't have to turn them up very loud at all to hear every thing in my concert recordings.

Plus they are so easy to build! You could make a rough "mule" to see if they work in your space, and then decide if they work for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.