Micro Mini Desktop Tower Plans - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2009, 08:14 PM   #21
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Vadim,

Those are nice pics! Can I ask whether you had a chance to comment on a few things with these speakers

a) quality of bass - I read some reports it is not as clear as some other drivers at low frequencies ?

b) impedance - do you know in reality what it is ? - I seen numbers like 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm and knowing how these things can be misquoted I looked at some curves which show a minimum at 6 Ohm ?

c) sensitivity - how much power do they need to work well in your near-field listening environment - I am considering a flea-powered Class A amplifier ?

Thanks.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:45 PM   #22
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Vadim,

Those are nice pics! Can I ask whether you had a chance to comment on a few things with these speakers

a) quality of bass - I read some reports it is not as clear as some other drivers at low frequencies ?
I don't know what those "other drivers" are. Comparing to the TB-1231SH I built into small QWTL these are much fuller and go much lower, so there is no comaprison. Right now I have Audience A3 in the same exact cabinet, but ported. They do have somewhat stronger bass, but then nothing I've tried in 3" size compares to those. And they are $170 e.a. Overall, these little HiVi sound much better then they have any right to. The rest see in your #c
Quote:
b) impedance - do you know in reality what it is ? - I seen numbers like 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm and knowing how these things can be misquoted I looked at some curves which show a minimum at 6 Ohm ?
I am not at home right now and the measured curves are there. What I remember is that DC resistance was slightly above 6 Ohm. This is definitely an 8 Ohm driver. Look at Zap's site - he's got the curves published. I'll check mine when I get home.

Quote:
c) sensitivity - how much power do they need to work well in your near-field listening environment - I am considering a flea-powered Class A amplifier ?
On that picture above you can see Sonic Impact amp that I use. It provides I beleive 8 Wpc at 10% distortion, so I run it not more than half turn of the volume control - probably under 2 Watts. The main virtue of this amp (IMHO) is price, however. Same speakers with 1962 Fisher X-100-B sound a lot better. I did run a pair of them with Adcom GFA 5300 capable of 80 Wpc (obviously not full blast!) and they fill a decent-sized living room to serious levels and the bass is a lot cleaner than with the T-amp. Sensitivity is obviously low though.

Vadim
Old 18th September 2009, 01:40 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Vadim,

Thanks, this is very encouraging. Look forward to your feedback on the impedance.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 18th September 2009, 03:23 AM   #24
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Bigun,

Did a quick check - impedance does not go below 7 Ohm at all and above 600 Hz it goes above 10Ohm and stays there. There is a peak at resonance and another one at the notch filter. Can't copy the curve from my SoundEasy PC at this point - it's not on the network.
This speaker is a very easy load, even for the tubed amp.
Vadim
Old 18th September 2009, 06:42 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

That's good news, these are now a serious contender for my simple desktop project.

I notice from the internet that there's more than one version of this driver, a square mount version "HiVi B3S" but two others "Hi-Vi M3N" from Madisound and "HiVi B3N 3" from parts-express. Do you happen to know if there's any difference ?

Hide this!Advertise here!