Micro Mini Desktop Tower Plans - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2009, 06:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Hinder View Post
Using a 15" might help, if you can get one into that nicely shaped enclosure...
I don't quite have room for a fifteen but, I was hoping to use a TB W5-1126, in a small tasteful enclosure, of course.

I just can't seem to find one.
Old 14th September 2009, 06:35 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
A double chamber BR sub perhaps? They have been neglected, not being taste-of-the-month (plus my favourite sim prog doesn´t do them) - but if you can lay hands on Monacor drivers I might be able to dig up a plan for something smaller than a garage.
Old 14th September 2009, 07:15 PM   #13
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
Do you absolutely need the sensitivity of the Fostex driver?

Maybe a CSS FR125 in a miniOnken? http://planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
Great sounding recommendation, but while not a huge box in the context of larger room/application, at approx 13 liters, either the miniOnken / Fonken Prime would be a bit imposing on an average desk-top.

There are quite a few designs to chose from for small (4 liters or less) enclosures for the most popular Fostex ( FF85K, FE103, FE127) or Mark Audio(Alpair 5 or 6, CHR70) or CSS (FR125/EL70) drivers.

By now, most folks frequenting this forum would know where to find them.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:45 PM   #14
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterdriver View Post
This is a concern. I actually drew one on paper where the back of the box sloped out as it went up. That is front to rear 4 inches at bottom and 6 inches at top. Do you think that would make a significant difference?
I don't know, to be honest, but it would possibly spoil the aesthetics - if you have space for a deeper box why not make it deeper all the way from top to bottom and benefit from the larger volume ?

In my last box I not only used some stick-on felt pads stuck all over the back plus some stuffing, but I first glued some semi-random angular pieces of wood to the back of the box so that sound waves from the driver would be scattered rather than reflected straight back. I found that there were always some little bits of wood being produced during the construction process that could be used in this way. It reduces the internal volume though, so an extra inch of depth would be a boon.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th September 2009, 06:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
...I first glued some semi-random angular pieces of wood to the back of the box so that sound waves from the driver would be scattered rather than reflected straight back.
That's an interesting idea. I think I'll try that.

I do want to keep the box as small as possible ( but not smaller). I don't really have access to box modeling apps, so I am just going by what I came up with on some online calculators and the advice of folks here.
Old 15th September 2009, 06:57 PM   #16
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't quite have room for a fifteen but, I was hoping to use a TB W5-1126, in a small tasteful enclosure, of course.

I just can't seem to find one.

My search talents are very limited, any chance you could post a link to T/S parameters for the above mentioned driver?

They would be very helpful for any wild a$$ed guess recommendation, or more scientifically modeled enclosure design.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w5-1126sc.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB W5-1126SC Calc.jpg (74.9 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg TB W5-1126SC Freq Response.jpg (51.6 KB, 260 views)
Old 16th September 2009, 03:34 AM   #18
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is a concern. I actually drew one on paper where the back of the box sloped out as it went up. That is front to rear 4 inches at bottom and 6 inches at top. Do you think that would make a significant difference?
Whether room boundaries or speaker box, a >12 deg slope is required to effectively reduce 'slap echo', but in such a small cab it doesn't take much damping material to deal with it. If the vent is on the rear behind the driver though, tapering the cab back to it is beneficial as witnessed by some of B&W's designs.

GM
Old 17th September 2009, 03:57 PM   #19
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PC speakers

I use a version of Zap's HiVi 3B in a closed box of 3.3l size and am very pleased with the sound. I think they look very good too. Attached are some pictures.
Vadim[ATTACH]with monitor.JPG[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1101.JPG (378.9 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg single.JPG (14.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 17th September 2009, 06:48 PM   #20
VadimB is offline VadimB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Placement

I have to add a comment to the first picture. This is exactly the picture of how NOT to position these speakers. It kills the imaging, at least the depth.
I've got the best results with leaving abot 2-3" gap between the monitor and each speaker, with the front baffles flash, or slightly behind the plane of the screen. In this position the image is slightly behind the monitor and goes back to the back wall. Very good for movies.

Vadim

Hide this!Advertise here!