Chang - which one next? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
lazyfly is offline lazyfly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Chang - which one next?

Hi folks,

Instead of rambling about how I went from multi-way to FR then multi-way's using FR's I'd rather just state for the record. I'm always returning to the FR's. More specifically the Brynn. This is also the speaker I'm most attached to re: build quality of the cab With a few dB boost down low, and no silly volumes, it's a well balanced setup.

So, what do I build next? I don't have any drivers yet so I'm open to suggestions that are not based on the FE126/7 drivers, in fact, I'd prefer to build something with a larger driver that wont require the use of eq that the FE127 is getting right now.

In a round-a-bout way I've come to my own conclusions (from experimenting with CSS FR125's in MTM and Coral Flat 10ii with a woofer) that I'm happy to add a tweeter OR a woofer but not both as the single driver magic disappears proportionately to the number of drivers -go figure. I have no numbers or graphs or the like, so don't ask Purely listening, and lots of it.

So what are your suggestions? Favourite Chang's? A Curvy Chang would be cool and look nice. 6.5 or 8" driver? Any new Chang's on the way for me to be the guinea pig on?

Thanks for reading
Old 13th September 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

My vote is for the curvy chang. I didn't build mine-bought em from a really cool guy on a-gon about a month ago for the hefty sum of $175. The 8in fostex phase plugged are my favorite drivers so far. They shouldn't be too hard of a build aside from the radius on the side panels.
Old 13th September 2009, 11:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Stevie. There's so many options it's hard to whittle them down, harder than I thought it'd be.

I actually love the looks of Terry Cains designs. The Abby and the Single horn Ben. I wonder what the reasons are for the Chang's not incorporating the Supra baffle? Is there a public domain plan for the Ben? I'm thinking not but doesn't hurt to ask
Old 13th September 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No.

Why no suprabaffle? Well, a/ they don't really need one, and b/ I'm not always sold on their supposed benefits. So I didn't bother including one; naturally, you're free to add one if you feel so inclined (although it's a big no-no with the curved-front designs).
Old 14th September 2009, 12:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

Thought as much

Thanks for the explanation on the Supra baffles. TBH, I like them for purely cosmetic reasons!

I have Coral Flat 10ii's but really am not sure what to do with them as yet. This isn't due to a lack of options, but because they're too big for the room - I think. The original idea of placing them in a sealed with a vented bass driver has failed. The Corals did not appreciate the sealed cab, they clearly need room to breathe (for want of a technical term). Needless to say, they are on hold indefinitely.

Is there a Spawn that can house either a 6 or 8" Sigma driver? I'd like to hear one of those puppies, it'll help narrow things down a bit too.
Old 14th September 2009, 07:28 AM   #6
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

Place my vote for a half chang. I can't imagine the need for extra output found in the full version (coming from a metalhead). Having not heard a curvy chang, I cannot comment on the other stated benefits over the half (imaging & tonal balance), but I can vouch for the endless listennability and emotion delivered from mine. Impact, output, and quality is all there in an arguably more reasonable package. I should mention that I use the lowly BOFU, plugged and basket treated only, with a Dayton ND20. I would expect quite a show with the Fostex option.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

fwater, not a silly idea going for the 207e Chang. I've already built a 1/8th Chang Brynn, which I have a love/hate relationship with (assuming incorrectly that the 127e is 1/4 the size of a 207e )

I wouldn't mind looking at the Mark Audio drivers either :/ In all honesty, I'm torn between a smaller FR doing from 100 - 150 upwards with a helper woofer or a larger FR doing from 40 - 50Hz upwards and a helper tweeter!

ARGGHHH!

p.s - This is an ongoing dilemma... just ask Rabbitz who I believe has washed his hands of me

Come to think of it, Scott's probably twigged to this dilemma too and is soon to liberally apply some soap.

Last edited by lazyfly; 14th September 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 14th September 2009, 11:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The double-mouth version[s] don't have extra output per se. What they do is couple to twice as much air, & provide a ~MTM radiation pattern. Imaging is largely a phantom contrived by the recording engineers, but within this context, they generally provide a much larger sense of scale, height and depth to the soundstage.
Old 14th September 2009, 05:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

>>> I'm not always sold on their supposed benefits.

I removed mine (supra baffle) after several months of use. My BIB baffle is on the wide side of typical anyway... but the added 'benefit' was small and took up too much horizontal space in my room... so they had to go.

fwater...

>>> I use the lowly BOFU, plugged and basket treated only, with a Dayton ND20. I would expect quite a show with the Fostex option.

More and more i do not think it's lowly at all... also, did you listen to the b20 without the phase plug first or did you just plug it? I removed the dustcap last week and think it sounds pretty cool.

I would expect the 207e to put on a great show too!

Godzilla
Old 14th September 2009, 06:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Scott, unsubmergible old mariner, -

<Imaging is largely a phantom contrived by the recording engineers>

Oh boy, you might have opened a can of worms here. Forcing people to face the fact that a sound engineer placed the musicians although they were not even in the same studio...heretic! Stone him! Only two bob per stone!

Heinz Schmitt (RIP, Heinz) once emailed a response to a music critic he didnīt want to publish openly...that critic had given a wonderful sermon about "crystal clear, pinpointed stereo soundstage" on a mono recording.

Hide this!Advertise here!