one Fonken down, one to go...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a pair of fonkens thanks to planet10 hi fi with Fostex FE127E drivers. I have almost finished one cabinet at least to the point where I can hook it up and see what it sounds like. I must say that I am very impressed. On the other channel is a Polk M4.5 with a 6.5" driver and a tweeter. The Fonken has a distinctive warmer sound that impresses me. The bass seems to equal that of the polk. I do have a BSC hooked up at the moment for about 2dB correction.

I can only imagine what they will sound like when the cabinet is totally finished.

Please remember that this is just a temporary hookup...

IMG_3043.jpg

OK,

I have both cabinets to a point where I have them hooked up. I have the BSC hooked up and the backs have the the terminal blocks installed. The back panels, however, are not glued up yet.

I must say that this little cabinet/driver combo is awesome. The bass definitely outperforms my Polk M4.5's. Probably get even better once the backs are sealed.

Next up, maybe some towers...

Well, one is really "down" now. I am in the final stages of a 3886 chipamp and everything checked out before I hooked the speakers up. Apparently there was one resistor that either broke loose somehow when I was jostling everything around or clamping the heat sink in place...anyways...the left channel started playing beautiful music through the fonken. Went to connect the right channel and snap crackle pop...wasn't enough to blow the fuse but enough to fry the driver. Crap!

Fixed the resistor problem and been listening with my old speakers for the last hour and a half and it sounds great. Running an Aikido tube preamp into either a Tubelab SimpleSE or this new LM3886 chipamp.

Well, one is really "down" now. I am in the final stages of a 3886 chipamp and everything checked out before I hooked the speakers up. Apparently there was one resistor that either broke loose somehow when I was jostling everything around or clamping the heat sink in place...anyways...the left channel started playing beautiful music through the fonken. Went to connect the right channel and snap crackle pop...wasn't enough to blow the fuse but enough to fry the driver. Crap!

Fixed the resistor problem and been listening with my old speakers for the last hour and a half and it sounds great. Running an Aikido tube preamp into either a Tubelab SimpleSE or this new LM3886 chipamp.

ouch - been there too - yup, part of the thrill of DIY SS amps -it doesn't take even all of the DC supply rail across the speaker outputs to let the smoke out of a lot of the higher efficiency drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.