Desktop Bipole Concept: Fact or Fantasy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've bought some Fostex FF85Ks for the purpose of building desktop bipole speakers to go in my 6'X9' office.

There are two listening points: Directly in front of my computer monitor(ears above drivers) or about six feet back(ears below drivers).

I thought bipoles, with the second driver pointing upwards, would provide a wide possibility for good sound at different listening points and make a nice room filling sound at low volumes.

Do I have any grasp of reality?

I've bought some Fostex FF85Ks for the purpose of building desktop bipole speakers to go in my 6'X9' office.

There are two listening points: Directly in front of my computer monitor(ears above drivers) or about six feet back(ears below drivers).

I thought bipoles, with the second driver pointing upwards, would provide a wide possibility for good sound at different listening points and make a nice room filling sound at low volumes.

Do I have any grasp of reality?

well, I'd imagine they "technically" wouldn't qualify as "true" bipoles, but it certainly couldn't hurt to try

The CSS EL70 in "castle-tower" are a lot of fun, and the upward firing second driver gives a lot of placement flexibility in terms of side/rear boundary reflections. A pair in my wife's living room are approx 10ft apart and angled to an undamped rear wall. Compared to the previous Buschhorns with FE108EZ, I find the early reflections from this placement increases soundstage width and height, at the expense of depth and image specificity. In this particular application, that's hardly a detriment.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This will be boundary reinforcement like with an Allison model 4. Not a bipole. If you put it up right against the wall that is. Listening from fairly above them if on a desk, it will be beneficial to maybe tailor down the top speaker towards HF, if it is still hot enough at the given axis. A small inductor can help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.