DIY Desktop Speakers Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
don't mean to hijack this thread but I am also considering building some "computer speakers" for my room.
They'll be used for day to day computer stuff running through my LM3875 chipamp at relatively close distance (~2ft from my ears) but when I just want to listen I'll be more like 2m away from my desk.
I'm looking at the fonkens (or miniOnken purely for easier to get drivers) but I'm wide open to any other ideas. The mark audio TL ones look very nice and the drivers are easily available in aus for instance.
So, what would people recommend as the best compromise between all these factors?

I've built some Fonkens (or at least I can say they are similar to Dave's) and they are very nice. If you can afford the desk space and don't mind a more complex construction then I can put a vote out for the Fonken. The larger driver will be a benefit over the smaller driver of the uFonken. But the uFonken looks to me to be a better size for desktop use and it's certainly easier to construct.

No experience with the TL box.

I like the FF85wk in the Woden Lance design myself. It is an easy build, just a lot of 4" wide boards cut to length, and 8" wide sides. No angles to cut, easy to fit together.

I've made 3 pair, 1 for each of my twin daughters in college, and 1 for my office. All are being powered by an SMSL SA-60 class D amp. They sound waaaaay bigger than they are. They are also very open sounding, and sometimes startle me when I have them on in my office.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.