First Speaker, trying to figure out a contour filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've been thinking about building a set of speakers for a while, and I'm thinking that using full range drivers would be a good place to start. After looking around partsexpress and madisound, I'm thinking that the Tang Band W4-1052SD 4" Driver would be a good candidate due to its low end extension, decent sensitivity and low price ($27 per driver).

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-828

Specs: Power Handling: 20 watts RMS/40 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Znom: 4 ohms *Re: 3.80 ohms *Frequency range: 60-15,000 Hz *Fs: 63 Hz *SPL: 87 dB 1W/1m *Vas: .26 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.21 *Qes: .54 *Qts: .48 *Xmax: 4 mm

I wanted to use 2 drivers per side, so it would match up to my amplifier output of 40 Watts at 8 ohms and would give me more SPL. The enclosures would either be sealed or vented and tuned low. They would be crossed over to my subwoofer @ around 80Hz with an active crossover.

What I'm having a problem with is finding out how to design a contour filter to attenuate the higher frequencies and to remove a peak at 8kHz. Any help with the filter or driver choice (ideally $40-60 per side) would be great.

Thanks for the link, i will check that out.

Another idea i just thought of was to do sort of a 1.5 way design, leaving one driver full range and putting a high pass (probably 6db/octave) at maybe 4kHz or something, to boost the low end and midrange so it matches better with the increased output in the high end

I have put my 1052-SD in a MLTL (the TABAQ to be precise, the design of which can be found by searching this forum).

Sound is good, with excellent bass extension for a 4" driver. I previously put them in a mocked up (i.e. thin crappy wood and gaffer tape) bass reflex and then the same in sealed and TABAQ before building the final enclosure. I found the TABAQ much better than the other two.

I don't have measuring equipment, so I can't tell you empirically, but the top end seemed more controlled in the TL rather than less. Not perfect, but better than the other options to my ear.

I have adjusted the filter on the TABAQ a few times and found the one I like the most is simply a textbook baffle step compensation circuit.

The manufacturer says that 40 watts (music power) is the max, but looking in WinISD, it looks like they wont take much power before exceeding xmax. I was just trying to get a real world idea of how much abuse they can take, since I have 80 watts @ 4 ohms to play with.

the room these are going in won't be all that big, but i would like to be able to reach fairly high volume. I guess I'm a little wary of counting on 1 4" driver to do this, but worst case i could always go back to my old yamaha bookshelves if i need more volume (they were sufficiently loud in a dorm room, but got harsh quickly and never really sounded that good)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.