Your opinion: FF85K vs Alpair5 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
[...] the simple fact of the matter is that you cannot obtain high-quality, extended bass output with reasonable dynamic headroom from a tiny FR unit suited to low power class A amplification in a tiny cabinet. [...]

Yes, it's not easy looking for the impossible !

I have been very encouraged by the link Mark put out in post #2. This approach to achieving LF from a tiny FR unit got my brain thinking and it also got me seriously looking at the A5 because of their greater Xmax (so far I've been a 'Fostex man'). Damn those Alpair drivers look GOOD. If only they were 8 Ohm. Now having said that, I notice that the Alpair data sheets tend to the safe side and quote 4 Ohms but the curves are a bit better than that - to my eye at least they look closer to 6 Ohm.

But I keep reading great things about the uFonkens, perhaps bass is not an issue despite low Xmax ?

Low power Class A is not prescribed for bass EQ but the application is desktop listening where near-field maybe a understatement - I prefer to think of them as self-supporting headphones :D

p.s. the Fountek's appear to be out of stock, for example Solen tells me that the ship was delayed by a Typhoon...

Last edited:
The MA units suit my personal taste, although I do like what the Fostex does. Very different takes & design approaches.

Regarding bass, well, as the uFonken don't really have much useable output under 100hz, it's a bit of a non-issue. Goes down a long way actually, but it's faint of course. TBH, I wouldn't really take the A5s much lower in a small box.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.