Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why would he be kidding you? Presumably he knows the behaviour of his own subwoofers.

Back OT, I wouldn't care to run any kind of back-loaded box higher than ~300Hz; the group delay would drive me mad. FWIW though, much of that top-end peaking is there to provide better HF response off-axis, so if you angle them suitably, so you're not directly on-axis with the whizzer cones, the levels will start to balance out.

Last edited:
hm, thanks for your suggestions, but I prefer not to build new boxes. Your RDH20 looks very interesting, maybe I will build it a bit later - looks very promising. :)
Yesterday night I played a bit with high and low shelf of my equalizer plugin. I ended up with +4db at 400hz low shelf and -3db at 1khz high shelf using low Q values. Now my speakers sound much better.

I don't like my subwoofers crossed any higher then 75hz (now I use them at 65hz and mains fullrange), because bass gets slower and less tight.

Here are some RTA's I did. This is the unfiltered and filtered 1/2m response as I sell the speaker. In retrospect, I probably have the BSC filter set too low, but the parallel RC filter is working perfectly. Note that if you are 15* or so off axis, the rising response takes care of itself. This is typical of wide-range drivers.

As to the Q of the filters, I don't really know. I use the miniDSP and adjust things on the fly. I set the high and low shelves in the initial filter section and then take care of any other humps and bumps int XO filter section.

Bob

Attachments

• chart-1.gif
    chart-1.gif
    24 KB · Views: 971
  • Filtered_Chart.gif
    Filtered_Chart.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 928
  • M18-T772.jpg
    M18-T772.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 942
I built up a pair of these a couple of months back.

I have liked the sound of the TB full rangers since I did the neo 4" bamboo drivers 5 years ago. When I saw the stuff on the W8-1772 I got excited.

Didn't work for the HT system so I moved to the bedroom. Don't have a lot of space in the bedroom, so I put these into 24 liter net boxes tuned to 60 Hz with a 3" dia x 4" long port. According to win isd. Haven't verified the tuning. Put the vent behind a V brace so there was no direct path from the cone to the vent.

8317734625_7175a59b1b_o.jpg

Lined the boxes with PE 3/4" sonic barrier foam and designed them so they would vent into the wall/ceiling boundary on hinged boards with turnbuckles so I could adjust the pan & tilt.

8378439360_06708fb85b_o.jpg

I am using just a modest zobel of 3.3 uF in series with 17 ohms across the driver and it takes the edge off. So far it works pretty good me thinks. I wanted to see if I could compensate for the early bass rolloff of a smaller box with the boundary gain of the wall/ceiling. So far, so good - :)

8377678153_cf47b8d58a_o.jpg

I want to do some measurements to verify, but I have no equipment. More stuff to buy.

Some comments based on my experience. Different box, different installations, so maybe not appropriation to yours.

I used 1.5mH||15Ω. I found that this helped with the baffle hump as well as baffle step. Note that I typcally have the driver 24" from the front wall and several feet from the side walls. I also use 2μF=5Ω across the driver. This brings down the rising response nicely and removes any spittyness from the speaker.

YMMV
Bob

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here are some RTA's I did. This is the unfiltered and filtered 1/2m response as I sell the speaker. In retrospect, I probably have the BSC filter set too low, but the parallel RC filter is working perfectly. Note that if you are 15* or so off axis, the rising response takes care of itself. This is typical of wide-range drivers.

As to the Q of the filters, I don't really know. I use the miniDSP and adjust things on the fly. I set the high and low shelves in the initial filter section and then take care of any other humps and bumps int XO filter section.

Bob

That's a nice looking freq response curve. Nicely done.

Nice picture!

Bob
That's a beautiful speaker Bob! I've been told that you did a small MLTL for the Fostex FE166En. Do you still have plans/pictures? Is there a build thread for that on the forum?

That's a beautiful speaker Bob! I've been told that you did a small MLTL for the Fostex FE166En. Do you still have plans/pictures? Is there a build thread for that on the forum?

Sadly, the FExx6En drivers proved utterly unsuitable for resonant cabinets. As soon as the FFxx5WK drivers became available, I abandoned the FE's. I lost my pair of FE166En's to a coating experiment, but for me, not great loss.

Bob

W8-1772

Hi,

I know many here have used the W8-1772 in an open baffle application, but I was curious whether anyone here has tried the W8-1772 with horn such as the Azurahorns 160Hz or the Oris 150 horns.

Any idea why this driver would or would not work in the aforementioned application. I did speak to a fellow forum member who used the TB W8-1808 with the Oris 150s and was able to achieve excellent results.

Unfortunately, I am not as technically competent to be able to determine after reviewing the specs for the W8-1772 that it would be as (or more or less) suitable as the W8-1808 for front loaded horn application.

Any thoughts/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Darkheart,
nice setup, I like the woof cabs ?

And the rock under them.

How do you have the woofs hooked up ?

I see 2 nad receivers............

I've had luck running woofs alongside fullranges wide open, but the woofs naturally rolled at 200hz or so (helped baffle step / fltecher-munson curve).

Norman

Datubie, what did you mean by "What BR enclosures"?
Here are some pictures of building process:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.