Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bob,

Do you know the new Tang Band W6-1916 ? I am wonder what would be the difference in sound quality against the W8-1772 that I would like to get. It is a little cheaper and less sensitivity, but, for mids and highs looks the same response? And also the impedance curve looks same as flat. Thanks for your opinion.:)

I have run T/S tests on a pair of 1772's using a Smith & Larson Speaker Tester. The drivers were broken in for one hour a Xmax. Average of three runs each for the two drivers are:

Re ohms 7.28996
Fs Hz 42.59512
Zmax ohms 28.85236
Qes 0.44508
Qms 1.31602
Qts 0.33256
Le mH 0.04414
Diam mm 165.5
Sd mm^2 21512.25
Vas L 72.76948
BL N/A 7.4432
Mms g 12.6453
Cms uM/N 1106.912
Kms N/M 905.7046
Rms R 2.57074
Efficiency % 1.1911
Sensitivity dB(1 watt) 92.76138
Sensitivity dB(2.83 volt) 93.166

The S&L tester does a constant current test, so the numbers will differ somewhat from testers that do constant voltage. The results are not surprising. the Vas lower than published is what I normally see, although I would have expected Qts to be somewhat higher than published rather than lower.

index.php

Nothing untoward here. I won't try to explain the glitch at 150Hz for now. I am impressed that there is no reflection off of the surround at ~1000Hz. That big old aluminum phase plug plus (I presume) a shorting ring very effectively kills any impedance rise.

One thing of note: The 1772's suspension is either not progressive or only weakly so. Unlike most Fostex drivers that can't be over-driven to Xsus, it is very easy to bounce the TB off of the back plate. Some care will be required is high SLP low frequency applications.

I will mount these drivers in my FT-2000 cabinet (MLTL). I won't be testing on an EIC baffle, so my FR plots may well have some box defraction artifacts in them, but so be it. It may be a few days before I report back.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Do you know the new Tang Band W6-1916 ? I am wonder what would be the difference in sound quality against the W8-1772 that I would like to get. It is a little cheaper and less sensitivity, but, for mids and highs looks the same response? And also the impedance curve looks same as flat. Thanks for your opinion.:)

You should probably take this to the W6-1916 thread. I have not heard this driver, but TB is working on a series of full-rangers W5-1880, W6-1916, W8-1772 and W8-1808. I'm guessing that they all have a family sound. I will be definitely interested in the W6-1916, although I think that the Alpair 12 will be my choice for the next iteration of my FT-1600 speakers.

Bob

Thank you Bob.
I just started a new thread, we'll see.

You should probably take this to the W6-1916 thread. I have not heard this driver, but TB is working on a series of full-rangers W5-1880, W6-1916, W8-1772 and W8-1808. I'm guessing that they all have a family sound. I will be definitely interested in the W6-1916, although I think that the Alpair 12 will be my choice for the next iteration of my FT-1600 speakers.

Bob

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Exotic and DX-4 drivers are comparably priced, fairly divergent appraoches to the full range driver. Better is probably a matter of personal preference, but a comparison or characterization of their sound quality would be helpful. I think many are curious about the sound quality of the more 'premium' full range drivers.

The SEAS will give you actual bottom end in an OB. You will
not see this from Lowthers, Feastrex, etc. The SEAS tends
toward neutral in the mid and top, its faults being mostly
sins of omission. Lowthers and Feastrex deliver more detail
and drama in the mid and top, and some sins of commission,
and often like a little EQ.

I prefer "premium" drivers if you are willing to go to the
trouble of adding a woofer and trim the upper mid a bit, but
you can end up spending quite a bit of money on the drivers
themselves.

:cool:

Just ordered a pair of W8-1772!...I will share my impressions. This driver need a zobel or any kind of correction filter to use in a open baffle? The -200 Hz will be driven by a old 15" woofer from my Pioneer loudspeakers Cs-V9910. The woofer has a small magneto so, I think it has a high Qts?

'Haste makes waste' :(, especially before the morning's caffeine kicks in! Then again, a small motor usually, but not necessarily, mean a high Qts since I've measured a couple of low Fs 15" Pioneers with as low as ~0.24 Qts with the trade-off of a super high Vas, some close to 30 ft^3!, so a big cab to go low if vented and typically not enough Xmax to put it anywhere but in a corner.

Bottom line, if you don't measure its specs, I recommend not straying too far from the alignment of the cab it was mounted in for fear of easily driving it to audible distortion/destruction.

GM

No problem, its my bad english !:D

I am looking in internet if I can find some specs from that loudspeaker and the 15" woofer.....hard to find it !

Anyway, I will try and measure in the next month...so far in open baffle with a little of bass tone from the home cinema amplifier integrated, sound with good bass

'Haste makes waste' :(, especially before the morning's caffeine kicks in! Then again, a small motor usually, but not necessarily, mean a high Qts since I've measured a couple of low Fs 15" Pioneers with as low as ~0.24 Qts with the trade-off of a super high Vas, some close to 30 ft^3!, so a big cab to go low if vented and typically not enough Xmax to put it anywhere but in a corner.

Bottom line, if you don't measure its specs, I recommend not straying too far from the alignment of the cab it was mounted in for fear of easily driving it to audible distortion/destruction.

GM

Are you guys generally running these (specifically the 1808) with a Zobel network or naked?

I have just made some open baffles to my w8-1808. They are 60 cm wide and 122 cm tall.

I dont use any filter at all. It sounds detailed and very very open. The sound is smooth, not sharp at all. Without subwoofers there is a little bit midbass and no deepbass. With subwoofers tuned correctly this is a very good match.

Some questions:

1) Is it neccecary with a zobel filter if the amplifier is strong enough?

2) Will a BSC filter take away some of the incredible open and wide sound?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

>>> Has anyone had a chance to compare the Tang Band 1772 or 1808 to the Seas Prestige full range?

Decware wrote something up about comparing one of the TBs to one of the Seas and said he preferred the TB... but i am not sure if he was referring to the sound or the specs?

>>> I am thinking of OB with dual 15"/speaker augmentation

That would be an awesome setup. Anything with 15" drivers done correctly results in amazing bass... and i do like the TB drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.